Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flame v/s Birdseye

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Razor, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    If this has been done...my appologies. Aside from the visual differences, any signifigant differences in tone when comparing a flame maple neck/board to the same in birdseye? Pic's and opinions welcome.

Also, anyone have any bad experiences playing either of the above two config's in a high gloss finish?

Thanks.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Nope.

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Birdseye is always very hard maple, flame can be soft or hard maple with a huge variance in-between. If it's in a neck I doubt it would be a softer maple but I have seen a few soft maple necks. Highly flamed maple can be unstable and warp while birdseye generally won't. You can usually get away with a good deal of figuring in a multi-lam neck but a one piece highly flamed neck is a bit risky.

Tonally I think the individual piece of wood matters more than the type of figuring. While beautiful, figuring is a structural flaw.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok, well that does make sense. :p

Anyone give me the characteristics of the tonewood ovangkol and maybe its comparison in tone to that of maple?

I know that many feel that ebony is similar in tone to maple..hard and bright. I like the physical appearance of maple and I like the bright tone. Ovangkol though, I have no experience with. I am pretty set on a flame maple board but still trying to decide on a neck wood. The body it will go on will be Zebrano.

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I fear whatever it is you may have in the works this time :bag:

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    You can get good flame maple.
    But on a whole, birdseye tends to be stronger.

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Another dream bass is about to become real for me in a matter of weeks. The neck will be birdseye/bubinga/birdseye with a brazilian rosewood board. It should be a solid, lively neck and I am SO looking forward to getting my fingers on it :hyper: