Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 18, 2001.

1. I am curious about it, does anyone know anything about it? Is there some set pattern with notes, or techniques, or what? What makes up flamenco music? Anything and everything will help. and are there any suggested recordings? Thanks a lot for feed back.

Nate M
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

nate - Do you mean the guitar style - flameNco ???

One of my music teachers was a flamenco guitarist. All I know is you need incredibly light action, that the strings are usually "pinched" with the fingers, and that your pinky better have a lot of independance.

I listened to Segovia as a kid. Juan Martin wrote a book on playing it, The Art of Flamenco, or something close to that title.

For bass?:confused:
  3. yea there was a Bass Player a while back that hada good article on nueve flamenco... sounds interesting becasue I love flamenco guitar.
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Let me stretch WAY out on a limb here. Between the ages of ten and sixteen I lived and breathed classical and flamenco guitar. Then I discovered bass....

Flamenco is considered spanish in origin. More appropriatly Morrish. There are forms and scale patterns that are related to it (mostly minors)

In its true and purest form it's the original jam session. Free form between the guitarist and the dancers with the heel stomping and castanets as rhythm section.

Conequently none of the best stuff ever gets written down. What is available is usually found as "Morrish Dance" if you want to get to the roots.

It's incedibly passionate and has been getting guy's laid for eight hundred years.
  5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Abraham Laboriel used to be a flamenco guitarist, before an accident to his hand led him to play bass. He still plays the bass with all 5 fingers and utilises chords extensively. His album "Guidum" shows this off well. Check him out if flamenco is your thing.
  6. is there a site on this guy? I have read a lot about him in past posts. Do you know of any? Thanks a lot

Nate m
  7. does anyone have his movie "new bass concepts"? what does he cover in it, is it any good? Thanks