1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flamed Ebony fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Cambone88, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Cambone88

Cambone88

Feb 14, 2013
    I'm considering this RM-100 but has a flamed fingerboard. it doesnt affect the overall tonal quality - it's more aesthetics. I attached a pic - just wanted to see others opinions.

Attached Files:

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    nice!

3. That's not flamed. That's what ebony looks like before it is soaked in black dye.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I don't think all ebony fingerboards are soaked in black dye. High-quality natural ebony fingerboards that are not dyed do have those type of streaks, just not to that extent.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Almost looks like macasser ebony to me (flatsawn). Def not curly (flamed) though.

6. Cambone88

Cambone88

Feb 14, 2013
    yeah I know what you mean. it is extensive. it's a new bass from string emporium - Steve is willing to do another bass if what I consider the "vintage look" on the fingerboard bothers me LOL. I'm concerned that it will be more of a distraction but that's just my initial thoughts. maybe it's not that big of a deal.

7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Vintage look?

8. The coloration is purely aesthetic and something that will be seen more and more in new instruments. Depending on when that bass was built this video will help to explain the state of the ebony market:

http://youtu.be/anCGvfsBoFY

9. Cambone88

Cambone88

Feb 14, 2013
    Thanks for posting the youtube link! pretty much sums it up :)

10. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    An interesting video. I suspect, however, that market forces will dictate what happens. Specifically, at least for a while, the jet-black ebony will fetch a substantially higher price. Taylor seems to acknowledge that, suggesting that people should change their attitudes. That's a noble approach but I'm guessing the marketplace is rather deaf to such notions.

11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Probably going to see more of those. The owner of Taylor guitars wrote an article about ebony last year. Apparently, to get even toned ebony, one fells ten trees, nine have a normal variegated grain, perhaps some white veining, tonal variations, etc., such as in the pic, and only one tree will have the even dark grain we are accustomed to seeing. His proposal was to insure continuation of the species was to have instrument makers and owners come on board with the "new look", as that would instantly increase supply nine fold.

12. those Thompson's are pretty badass basses. i think they hands down kill the other basses in their class. i've played alot of basses and i favored the Thompson over any Kay, Engelhardt, Shen or Upton. i have no affiliation to Thompson or Steve, this is just my personal opinion. but i don't think you could go wrong by snagging that one. i think the fingerboard looks cool myself

13. Cambone88

Cambone88

Feb 14, 2013
    Thanks for the response! I'm back playing after a long hiatus. I'm almost 53 (female) and used to play in the 80s - now after playing some of uprights at various price points and not liking much of what is out there, I decided to take a leap of faith and go with the Thompson after reading the reviews and watching various vids. He's set it up with a set of Evahs so I'm not stuck in one genre. I guess I was kinda taken aback with the extent of the "flame" in the ebony but it's something I could get used to and it does look, well... different. I appreciate all of your help!

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You'd better get used to the looks. Deep dark ebony is becoming hard to come by and it's not going to get better.

15. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    ^ LMFAO....I hope that was a joke because it is dead wrong.

That piece is either Macassar or Mun ebony or any of the Asian ebonies.

The brown streaks will darken slightly, but it will retain the streaked look like that. I love the look personally.

16. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I think it is distinctive....I dig it! But I have always been a bit of a nonconformist.

17. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Over any Shen or Upton? Just trying to understand. Which basses from those makers have you played? Are you limiting this to ply basses?

I take it that you are buying without playing it first. So, after playing various basses and not finding any to be desirable, you're buying one that you haven't touched or heard in person? Which basses did you play and how do you figure they differ from the Thompson?

Bravo on returning to playing! Have a blast! :)

18. Cambone88

Cambone88

Feb 14, 2013
    I am and yes I'm taking a chance I know but after playing some Juzek and Dvoraks then vintage Kays from a local luthier (that I couldnt afford :() I decided a good starting point is the Thompson that gets repeatedly good reviews ($1485) I have to go on a hunch I guess and Steve from String Emporium seems to know what he's doing. Anyway, I'll update the forum on the bass with the vitilago...:-D. Looking forward to playing my own bass again and ditching the rental.

19. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    That board looks really cool to me! Reminds me of a macassar ebony bass I once owned. To me the pattern gives that bass its own character.

20. I like the look of the fingerboard--it has a more "natural" quality. My Thompson has some blond streaks, but not to that extent.