1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flamenco Bass insights?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    No,is basically simple time signature.
    Could be 2/4, 4/4, 3/4 and also 12/8 being used
    Of course some people fusion flamenco with some other styles and makes it at irregular tempo.
    Bass in flamenco is relatively new,if you go by to the origins of flamenco.where there is only nylon guitars , voice, dance and clapping.

2. I remember a spanish guitar player telling me about the buleria for example which I think was a 12/8 but it was subdivided in a strange way. I forgot exactly what he said

3. DirtySix

DirtySix

Jan 8, 2012
    Canada
    The term you want to look up is 'compas'. If you search google for a flamenco compas clock you will find the timing for each style within flamenco. Generally most of the forms work on 12 beats with the accents on different beats depending on the form you are playing ex. Bularias, tengo, solera and so on. Not all forms start on the first beat which adds to the confusion.

Clapping along is a great way to familiarize with the rythms and is called 'palmas'.

If you talk to a flamenco purist they will tell you bass flamenco is not real flamenco, however this is truly a snobby way of looking at music.

I play flamenco guitar (not that well yet). I find this thread interesting because i was just thinking about bass accompaniment in flamenco this morning. I have just gotten into playing 6 string bass and was thinking of how it could be applied to flameco. Please send me a msg if you want to talk more about flamco and bass as the idea intrigues me.

mambo4 likes this.
  4. DirtySix

DirtySix

Jan 8, 2012
    Canada
    Also another great place for flamenco info would be to search foroflamenco on google. It is basically the talkbass of flamenco.

5. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    These might give you some ideas;
    New Flamenco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Lo Mejor del Nuevo Flamenco
    Inicio | pacodelucia.org
    Ottmar Liebert: Nouveau Flamenco
    The Gipsy Kings
    Diego Paqué - cantautor flamenco

Google search Nuevo Flamenco to find more

6. DirtySix

DirtySix

Jan 8, 2012
    Canada
    Gypsy kings is soley rumba flamenca and is generally not considered to be a flamenco group. They do play some awesome songs though. They stick mainly to 4/4 time so it might not help with the other compas used in flamenco.

Try Paco Delucia, Diego Delgastor, Tomatito, Paco Penna, Carlos Montoya. These will give you a great start. As for bass, there are some songs where Paco Delucia plays with a bass player but they are just playing along and not playing with flamenco techniques. Hope this helps.

7. Great Info guys, thanks. I don't really want to play flamenco on the bass I just want to understand it enough so that I could accompany a guitar player without completely getting lost at every turn for example.
    I'm in Northern Idaho so there's a slim chance I'll find someone but you never know.
    Otmar Liebert and Gypsy Kings is out for me.
    As an example a guy on bass who I find really interesting is Carles Benavent,
    His compositions and his style is amazing and so far away from anything I have ever played but I'd like to at least scratch the surface of that style. By the way the guy with Paco is Alain Perez who is a killer Salsa Latin Jazz player.

8. I've been playing in a flamenco band for a year. I have a jazz background, and I found the easier palos (rumbas, tangos, sevillanas) not that hard to understand. However, I still had to learn all the signals that the musicians use to communicate among themselves since the form of a given song usually isn't fixed as it is in pop, rock, or jazz, but more or less improvised.

As for the harder palos that are based on a 12 beat compás, let's just say that I'm starting to get the feel for bulerías, but when the guys want to play a soleá, a siguiriya, an alegría or a fandango, I'm still getting my @$$ handed to me on a regular basis.

This book helped me quite a bit : Amazon.com: Flamenco Bass Method (9788493445249): Mariano Martos: Books (Unfortunately it appears to be quite expensive in the US.)

Timo

9. Great, I'll check that book out!
    Thanks

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Here's my thread on Flamenco Forum about how to approach bass in that genre. Generally there was skepticism but some encouragement. Lots of YouTube videos of the "Best in Bass Flamenco" here...

Advice for a bass player approaching flamenco

Also see this thread, which expresses deeper skepticism.

How to play bass for flamenco?

Some of the folks on this site are serious Flamenco heavyweights. Pay attention to their recommendations before you commit a ton of time to this project.

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Carles Benavent's book is a great resource. I've been playing bass with a flamenco guitarist for about a decade, and its a lot of reimagining lines and chords for the bass. I by no means have it figured out, but at least can hang on for dear life.

All you need to know about Buleria, its almost always counted like this.

12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

:)