1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flamenco lost in the mix

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jeffgnr90, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    sup guys so I've been incorporating a flamenco style of playing (similar to geddy's) into the original music my band is doing. I use it for playing 8th note runs, powerchords and to add a little funkiness here and there. Whenever I do this though, it's gets totally lost in the mix. My volume drops almost to the point of not filling in the sound. I've noticed that the sound is a tiny bit more pronounced on the down stroke, but almost inaudible on the upstroke. im perplexed b/c watching Geddy play, it's just as loud/audible as when he's plucking fingerstyle. i know he's not using a volume boost or anything. So i feel like maybe it's a technique thing and my hands aren't strong enough to keep the volume up yet as well as an eq thing. is this a technique thing, eq, or a combination of both? what do you guys think?

2. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    I often strum notes with my fingernails, not quite the same way but yes changing the attack means you need to consider the strength of your note, relative to what you play with your normal technique.

I suggest making some kind of tape to play along with that you can turn up, and simulate the noise of a performance, and then the audibility of your flamenco-ish part will be obvious. You need context.

I often have this problem when i play with new techniques, and that is what sounded good in my living room with just me and a Trace Elliot amp sounds horrible or doesn't sound at all when I'm in my drummer's house with two guitarists to compete against. You just have to learn to train yourself to meet that challenge, and part of that would be simulating the rumble of a whole band.

3. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Your flamenco attack should sound a lot like you are using pick. Maybe you aren't hitting hard enough? I usually put my index and thumb together like I'm holding a pick and the index strikes on the down stroke and thumb nail on the up stroke.

4. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    Well I do practice this in a band setting where I'll get quizzical looks b/c of a drop in volume when I go flamenco. I think it's a matter of building up my strength, which I've been doing for a while now:rollno: I do practice at home along to music at a higher volume to build on strength. Just gonna have to pursue it. Ged's hands must be freaking rocks to keep up for 2-3 hour shows!

5. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    True, I figure as muc,h and it does when I do it, its just not as loud as me using a pick which therein lies my dilemma. I've tried the way you've mentioned and found that it does feel as natural as the flamenco, but that's just me. Glad you've found something that works!

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    If you watch flamenco guitar ... it is really different than what Geddy do. What Geddy do is strumming or use one finger as if it was a pick.

So if it gets burried, it is a question of EQ

7. Kyle_S

Kyle_S

Sep 11, 2013
    NY
    If you want to experiment with different ways of doing it, here's Les Claypool:

8. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    thanks for these! I'm more of the aggressive style of playing like Mike Watt with the technique as shown by Brian Beller, though I use my middle and ring fingers primarily rather than point and middle finger. maybe I should switch the fingers I use!? or try to incorporate all three maybe

9. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    yea, i realize Geddy has his own version of "flamenco" going on, i'll have to play around with eq too and revisit that thread on eq's again:D

10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    ive always thought geddy had his one string flamenco and his chord flamenco. the chord was more of a full handed strum (like he played acoustic on the r30 video) and the one string was like on animate with just flicking the index back and forth.

11. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

Jul 24, 2013
    I play this way alot and just learned that Geddy does... For what it's worth I let my wrist go very loose and try striking with the tips of your fingers and finger nails racking the strings the more flow I get in my hand and wrist the better and fuller the tone it's taken me awhile to incorporate it but its very worth while

12. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I know I'm going to catch flack for this and I really don't care. Check out Fieldy from Korn's back hand strums. Once I can start playing again I'm probably going to work on a variation on his thing. His main pattern is slap-hammer-back strum muted strings-palm slap. My variation would be to strum chords instead.

If you think Fieldy is lowering yourself then Abe Laboriel, and Victor Wooten do similar stuff. Ryan Martine from Mudvayne also has some interesting strumming techniques too. I'm not picky about genre if a player does something interesting I'll cop it and make it mine.

C/S,
    Rev J

13. David Carnicer

David Carnicer

Dec 3, 2013