1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flaming Lips synth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by I am Domokun, Apr 16, 2006.

1. What kinda effects could I use to get close to the Flaming Lips' synth sound? On a budget too.

2. I For one don't understand why anyone would want to listen to that s**te never mind copy it
    g022.

3. well that was an informative post...

anyways, are there any sound clip that we could hear it?

4. funk_dat_jazz

funk_dat_jazz

Mar 10, 2006
    if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all.but as far as the flamng lips go im stumped on what synths they use is a nice sound but.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 g022.
    lol :rolleyes:
    ...or even just song names...

6. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I think most will agree that there is no room for an atitude like that on this site.

To the OP: Post a soundclip and we'll see what we can do.

7. what songs/albums are you talking about, their synth sounds have changed a lot over the years. and hey, i for one happen to love the flaming lips :)

8. the Yeh Yeh Yeh Song cracks me up :)

But i would be pretty interested to in finding out what theyre using.

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    the Yeah Yeah Yeah song has been my bit of ear candy for the last week. I love that song. With all the effects they throw on stuff, though, I'm not sure exactly what's a bass or a synth or a guitar with an octave on it.....

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I would guess a Nord of some sort and a couple Minimoogs?
    There's a whole lot of strings, brass and flute type stuff that must have been done on a synth of some sort. Those guys have Deep pockets...they can use whatever they want. I don't think you'll be able to get close with electric bass? I've noticed on the new one the bass usually has some distortion/fuzz going on...I like that it's a little more 'rock-oriented' than Yoshimi (but the synths on that one were even crazier).

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Saw the Flaming Lips play with Beck. First they did their own stuff (a lot of Yoshimi stuff) and then they backed Beck with all of his songs. They kicked ass. Good luck emulating. The guitarist and bass player all had a multitude of pedal effects as well as both were playing keyboards simultaneously, my guess is running some kind of effects through that too. Crazy stuff. Great live performance. Was skeptical going into it, but wound up really enjoying it. Sorry I can't help. Check out Electo Harmonix Mini Synth. Good bang for the buck

12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hey Makisupa policeman, policeman came to my house
    nice handle you got there!

13. I'm just talkin bout the fat, almost farting raspy sound kinda like the very start of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 2.

14. That's a Boss Bass Synthetizer with an expression pedal, most likely a Roland EV-5!
    The studio stuff is hard to copy, man. Steven Drodz, Wayne Coyne and Michael Ivins all swap instruments all the time, and they all use different stuff!
    But Michael plays live, and he has an all-Boss pedalboard!
    He uses the tuner, Bass Overdrive, both Bass Synthetizer (he likes one better than the other, but I can't remember which), both Flanger (the older analog BF-2 one for the tone, the new BF-3 one for the cool functions) and a DD-3, I think!
    Hope it helps!

Edit: Holy guacamole, I just realized how freaking old this thread is.
    I am so sorry for the incovenience, people!

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This might be the grand prize winner for zombie thread revival!

SEVEN YEARS!!!

16. I KNOW| I'M SO SORRY!
    THEY RELEASED LIKE 4 ALBUMS SINCE THEN
    But Michael Ivins' pedalboard haven't changed since 2006, so...

17. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Eh, I love a zombiethread. Its like finding.a classic novel you didn't know you had on the shelf

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    If anyone is interested I can find out. I'm very good friends with the current synth player for the Lips :) Went to high school with the guy and jammed with him a bit back in the day. He actually used to look up to me as a musician. Funny how things change :D

19. Well, I know that Michael's board is all Boss, I've seen it in a reasonably recent show on Youtube :)

But I don't think we can really know what was used on a said track, because it's almost never Michael who plays it in the studio!
    For instance, on ''Convinced Of The Hex'', on ''Embryonic'', it's Wayne Coyne who plays the bass, on his Mustang, through an unknown pedal! Haha!
    I remember an interview with Drodz, which was also pretty damn recent (from like two months ago) where he says that he collects old, obscure pedals, and that they just play with them in the studio, but his live rig has a DL4, a GT-6 and another thing!

But, if you can get a couple o'infos, that would be CRAYYYYYYYYYYYYYZAYYYYYYYYYYYY!

(The Flaming Lips is my favourite band, who could have guessed! :ninja: )