Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flamingo Slap?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey I'm trying to learn Vic Wooten's "me and my bass guitar"

and everything I've read says "use the flamingo slapping technique"....what in the world is that?

man if I could read notation instead of playing by ear/every now and then looking at tab...life would be alot easier, lol

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I believe the term you're looking for is "Flamenco" slapping.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Flamenco is a style of guitar playing, characterized by complex rhythms and various strumming techniques that incorporate the whole hand in downward and upward motions.

Most likely, what your 'sources' refer to is what victor wooten calls "double thump" technique. This is essentially slapping a string with your thumb, but rather than bouncing off the string, you pass through it, and then pull up with your thumb catching the string for another note.

dig?

do a search on these forums for 'double thumb' or 'double thump'

you'll get more info that way.

4. I really had to write in thanking Learning to walk for writing "Flamingo Slap." A skinny pink bird getting roughed up by any bassplayer is something else... something else entirely. This isn't a sarcastic jerk response either, it really made me giggle for a minute.

5. ha ha ha having fun with Photoshop I see :)

that's a hard technique to get down...it hurts the ol' thumb...oh well

6. Wrong Robot, only you could take my fantasy and make it a reality; I did sorta imagine the flamingo getting slapped in its natural enviornment though.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That was my first thought, but then I figured, since Learning_to_balk mentioned vic, I figured it'd be more appropriate.

8. I gotcha; you know, you should e-mail Vic that picture with a link to this thread. Im sure he is busy touring, but that might just make him crack a smile... or atleast wonder how much crack the members of talkbass are sniffing daily.

9. flamingo....flamenco....I just misread it....yah I'm a moron....oh well :)

10. actually, Adam Nitti uses a technique he calls flamenco slap. As I remember it was a combination of the two - use all fingers on the downstroke, a la flamenco guitar, then slap (pop) with your upstroke.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah, but have you ever seen adam nitti playing a flamingo? :D

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Augh, I don't know WHY I did it, but I'm sure you guys saw it coming, an hours work went into these, and there are still many dumb areas I didn't go over again. Oh well, I'm too tired to revise it now. :D

either way, Check me out in the front row there :) well the back of my head.
    :D :D
    [​IMG]

Ya know, a funny thing about this picture, is how, during that performance, I was looking at everyone's shadows on the ground, and the shadows resembled various animals, including flamingos, I actually made a note of it in my notebook, loosely sketching out what I saw, of course when I looked at it later it made no sense, but it's kind of interesting how I saw flamingos in their shadows, and then nearly 6 months later, end up making their basses into flamingos for no particular reason other than a giggle at best. :)

13. ha ha ha you're killin me over here..lol!

14. WR, sounds like you were hopped on something...:). Then again, I know what seeing Vic live is like (Got to see him playing fretless with the Jaco Pastorius big band, blew me away completely). Anyway, nice job with the photoshop, this thread still has me goin.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's funny, when I look back on it, I have a hard time believing I wasn't high on something!

seriously, it was one of the 'most blatantly a highdea' I've ever seen.

That said, that show was at like midnight, and I was EXHAUSTED! I had been traveling all day, then it was really humid in TN, and yeah...really really tired.

It was a neat jam though, vic, steve, adam, chris(BNC), Dave welsch, Muriel anderson. Lasted for a while too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.