Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flange or Chorus????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anubis101, Nov 2, 2000.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    I play a lot of incubus sounding stuff and would like to
    add an effect to it...should I get a chorus or flange pedal
    and what kind?

2. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I don't listen to Incubus, so I don't know the sound you're going for, but here's my opinion anyway:

I say go with the flange. I play a Boss BF-2, sounds great on the highs, kind of lacks on the lows but it's a guitar pedal, and I don't use it alot just enough to merit owning it, so I can live with that, you might not be able to so try out all the brands/models you can find. I've also played with the Boss chorus pedal (I think it's called the CEB-3, but I'm not sure on that) and wasn't impressed, the low filter is over rated in my opinion, but some like the chorus it just wasn't for me. Also consider giving a MXR Phase 90 a try, I prefer this simple phaser over my flange, but that flange was just to much fun to say no to. Not to mention they sound amazing together.

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Chorus and flange are based on the same principle: You split the signal, delay one of them, and vary the delay over time. The effect is that you cancel and reinforce varying frequencies, so the tone swirls around.

The difference is in the delay time: Flanging is delays of 5-15 milliseconds. Over 20 milliseconds it's called chorus. (And somewhere around 50 milliseconds the ear starts to distinguish it as slapback echo.)

NOW for use with bass:

Remember what i said about cancelling frequencies? Eventually you will wind up cancelling 100 Hz and your bottom will disappear. You need to get pedals designed for bass. What they do is only affect the higher frequencies so your low end stays solid. The Boss CEB-3 (I have one) gives you a knob that allows you to decide just how low you want to let it affect your tone -- as you allow the threshold to go lower, the effect gets more pronounced, but it starts to eat into your low end. I think it's cool that I get to decide where this point is, and you can balance it for what you're playing.

All this having been said, the best way to decide is to take YOUR bass and amp to a music store with several different makes, and just start messing around. But be cautioned that these toys sound VERY different in the context of a live band than they do when you're playing alone in a store. I play the Jaco fretless sound -- lots of mids and some treble but not much. So I can get mileage out of my chorus. But, since you don't generally want to affect the low end, if you play a bassy tone with little mid or high content, these things are not going to do much to your sound.

Have fun!

[Edited by Eli on 11-03-2000 at 08:24 PM]