1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FLANGER... good idea or waste of money?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by babs1234, Apr 20, 2006.

1. babs1234

babs1234

Apr 19, 2006
    PHOENIX, AZ
    hey im thinkin about getting a flanger just to add some variety when i play

ive tried it with a guitar but not with a bass and im wondering if its a good idea to do with a bass

it was just an idea i had so dont get mad at me if it sounds dumb

nick

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like to use flanging often in slower passages for a dreamy whooshy feel.

Certainly not a bad idea.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  4. It's an excellent idea, and they work great for bass.

Go for it!

5. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    They do sound great - but it is a value thing - how often will you use it [and you can really piss off your bandmates if it is too much] think of it as special FX in a section of a tune which implies you are really careful about its usage and you can get away with it more.
    The other thing to think about is cost - you know you can get some really nice multi fx gizmos that have flange in them along with a host of other effects for very little these days.

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    +1
    Delay (Flange/Chorus) works really well on bass.

tappingtrance's reality check is important: $ wise, a multieffect unit that incorperates flange (amongst other things) is more cost-effective than buying several other effects.

The juglar issue for me is how much gear I have to lug around and set-up time and complications. With one unit doing (most of) my effects chores, set-up is quick and easy.

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you can find a Boss BF-2 flanger, buy it. I love the sound of mine. It's arguably one of the best flangers of all time, and you can still commonly find them for $40 used. Very lush, adds some great dimentions to your playing.

Personally, I don't really like multi-FX units, because the effects on the usually aren't great quality, but for just messing around to see what you like, they're great.

-Dash

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just a side note: One of the coolest tricks with a flanger is to put a sharp-cutoff noise gate after it, and play stacatto. You have to spend some time adjusting the various levels to make it work right, but it sounds killer to have those flanged notes cutting in and out rhythmically.

9. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Make a sound clip please. Sounds interesting

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My take on flangers:

You can use a flanger for music that allows the bass to be heard. You can get that ethereal whoosh that just lurks in the background.

If you set it fast enough you end up with a metallic, clanging sound that works well with eerie sounding tunes.

I don't care for flangers + reverb/delay and definitely no flanger + phaser. They sound complicated and I feel that the shimmery sound gets muddied up.

11. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    Reykjavík
    I always preffered the sound of a phaser over flanger for "swooshy" sounds.

phase 90 is cheap too.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like phasers for the uni vibe like effect they give on individual notes if the music allows these notes to ring out clearly.

13. IMHO it's always a good idea to experiment with new sounds and effects, you might stumble on something that fits your style, or even a song you're working on.

Cheers,

Andy

14. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i'va got a few flangers, digital and analog, and though they all sound different and have their own unique characteristics, i love them all.

NB: any effect i have is used for salt&pepper. i have my main sound, then i add a little spice to it from time to time. dreamy swooshing, fuzzy evilness, leslie-like phasing, vibrato, tremolo.... ALL cool, especially when used.... i was going to say 'sparingly,' but 'correctly' might be a better word.

my two favorite flangers, by the way, are my maxon FL-301 (analog), and my yamaha FL-10MII (digital). both creamy and smooth. one's light cream (maxon) and the other's thick and heavy (yamaha).

enjoy the search!

15. +1

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Will do! It may take another day or two.

17. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Boss BF-3 does that, and yeah it's very cool :)

-Dash

18. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    great title, great pun :smug:

wasn't it a Flanger that AJ used on the O'Jays For the Love Of Money riff?

anywho, effects are all equally useless and useful at the same time. If you invest the energy in playing with settings I'm sure you'll absolutely find some stuff in there that'll spice up lines and make you come up with new ones too. but if you plug it in and expect IT to let you know which somgs/parts it'll sound good on..... not gonna happen, effects are great but very interactive from the perspective of you needing to get in there and be brave enough to freak with 'em.

.....and end of PSA ;)

19. Flangers and Tremolo are 2 of my favorite bass effects

20. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

i thought it was a maestro phaser, but i could be waaayyyy off. :confused: :bag: