1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flanger opinions? ADA PBF or Alexander F13

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MGR, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I'm thinking of adding one of these and I have sort of settled on the ADA because it has a level control and an expression input, but truth be told, I sort of like the Alexander sound slightly better, but will never use the dynamic or step filters. So I guess what I'm asking is......for those of you with direct experience with either one of these two, which one did/do you prefer and why?

PS-Not looking for alternatives, so please may I kindly ask that replies be limited to these two pedals only?

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I am kicking myself for selling my PBF (owing to its complexity; the sound is amazingly good), but what I've seen of the F13 is awesome too. I'd say go for the sound you like, even if you aren't going to use all the features - someday you might find a dynamic flanger sound is exactly what you need for song X.

3. Televator

Televator

Aug 24, 2011
    That PBF is awfully tempting. I'd go for that one.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I like the pbf a lot.

5. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    F13

blindrabbit likes this.
  6. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Thanks for the answers. Wish y'all could go into more detail, but I'll take the suggestions in mind.

7. bruno40gr

bruno40gr Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I owned the F13. If you don't like the crazy sounds, its still a freakin great sounding flanger. The knobs are very intuitive in the sweep mode and allows you to control the curve as you please. Screams even louder if you place it after dirt. Built quality is above standard and Matt's team is very responsive for/if you have questions. Go for it.

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah flanger is one of those things that I have never been able to really describe what I like about - it's either got that thing or it doesn't, most of the time.

If it helps at all, some examples...
    I like these flangers:
    MXR 117
    ADA PBF
    Alex F13 (just in videos, no personal experience)
    TC Vortex (not quite as much as the ADA or the MXR though for some reason)

I didn't like these flangers:
    Boss BFs (too "cold" I guess?)
    EHX XO Stereo Electric Mistress and Nano Mistress (too much of a bassy "hump" at the bottom of the sweep)
    Danelectro Psycho Flange (I wanted to like it because it's different, but it's too resonant for me I think)

9. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Thanks Jamma. So I ended up just going the cheaper route and bought a very early Japan BF-2 for $80. I really like the BF-2 sound actually, but was being very snobbish about my new Flanger and figured I should spend close to $200. At the end of the day though, for the little I use it anyway, it's better to go cheap and perhaps buy new if I end up REALLY getting into flanging. I sold an MIJ BF-2 months ago and kinda regretted it. The ADA just sounded too out there for me and there are zero videos of it online with bass except for a horrific Juan Alderete video (not horrific because it's him, the demo just sounded crap). I heard the Alexander was digital and I just have a thing against digital modulation. I really appreciate your time my man. All the best!

10. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh yeah. I have to rein myself in all the time: "can a $50 pedal do what this $200 pedal does?" - I'll be honest I shouldn't have sold my ADA and want to buy another one, but the Vortex is much cheaper and does the job pretty well. Going to wait on the flanger reckoning while I try out all the octave pedals in existence again to settle that first, though.

MGR likes this.