1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flanger Opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nick von Nick, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Nick von Nick

Nick von Nick Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Hi Folks,

I've been listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees rather ceaselessly as of late, and I'm starting to feel the urgent need to acquire a flanger.

Based on local availability, I'm currently looking at the following stomp-boxes:

EHX Neo Mistress and/or its big sister the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
    Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator

Does anyone have any experience with any of these pedals? Basically, I'd like to know how they will potentially sound with my trusty J-Bass (incidentally, a bass named "Siouxsie"). I'm especially curious to see if they any of them maintain the integrity of my bass tone (i.e. will I suddenly lose my low end!).

Best,
    ~Nick "Klaus" G.

2. i want to try out the the ehx pedals.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Love my TC Electronic Flangers. The Dreamscape has two fantastic flangers built in, as well as chorus. But with a Vortex or Vortex Mini you can do the Toneprints and make your own flanger sound which is awesome. You can cop any sound with the Vortex and Toneprints.

blindrabbit likes this.
  4. i think way huge would make a cool flanger pedal. too bad they haven't made one. the moog mf flanger seems cool, but i'd like more demos before i'd buy it. i really want a chorus and flanger pedal like the dreamscape.

alecduncan likes this.
  5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I've got the EHX Neo Mistress (for sale, actually, as I'm tryin' out a pigtronix envelope phaser for my modulation needs) - if you want a simple flanger it's good, just a knob for speed and one for regen. It's not quite as lush as the big-box MXR I had, but it's not bad at all!

k.graz likes this.
  6. Nick von Nick

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the replies, all. I think the Neo Mistress is the way to go right now!

~Nick "Klaus" G.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a simple jet flanging effect, check out the mxr micro flanger. that's what I have on my pedalboard and I totally dig it.

8. mxr micro flange and the big one sound so good with distortion.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I agree. last week I did a gig with my brother's new band and the crowd requested an encore. so we played stranglehold and I've used my markbass mini bass distortion along with my mxr micro flanger. it sounded totally awesome. and at the end of the song, I played the intro to ain't talking about love by van halen on bass. the show was phenomenal.

Unemploid likes this.
  10. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I actually really liked my EHX Stereo Mistress. Great chorus pedal and the flanger was nice too. I would recommend it over the Neo. If you have a chance to take an MF-Flanger for a spin I would. Those minifoogers are amazing.

k.graz likes this.
  11. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I am + 1'ing this.

I have been thru a bunch of flangers recently. I can say with certainty that the EH Stereo Mistress is amazing on bass. The addition of the chorus is a big plus too. I recently bought and sold a Mr. Black Tunnelworm, which was fairly useless on bass. There's something about the EH sound that is really thick on bass.

12. Nick von Nick

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Hey All,

I ended up with the Stereo Electric Mistress. Wonderful sound, especially with a pick! Below is a picture of my current board. Please forgive the poor quality! I only had time to snap a quick shot before work.

IMG_1035.JPG

Again, thanks for the advice, all. Loving the new board sound!

Best,
    ~Nick "Klaus" G.

Unemploid and bassmusic17 like this.
  13. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    What order are you guys running? Dist into flange or the other way around?

14. Nick von Nick

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    In the past, I have generally run distortion into modulation. I'd be curious to know how it might work the other way!

~Nick "Klaus" G.

15. I loved my TC SCF's flanger when I had it. I also got some great tones out of the Mooer Eleclady - nice small footprint, nice small cost, and it does the Electric Mistress quite well. Worth considering for sure.

This is a demo using guitar, but it is at least a side by side comparison:

16. You did it right. Distortion usually eats the modulation effect unless it's really subtle. Modulation after the dirt reinforces and accentuates both effects.

k.graz likes this.
  17. bcoomes

bcoomes

Feb 6, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I like the Electric Mistress, but my favorite flanger is the Ibanez Fl-9. The original is awesome and the reissue is also very good.

Unemploid likes this.
  18. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    As unorthodox as it is, I love my EQD Sea Machine set to flange:) It's not meant for it persay but it gets a really unique flange sound.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. Nick von Nick

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I do love EQD, but my next pedal from their line will be the forthcoming Levitation!

~Nick "Klaus" G.

20. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Here's how I put it. amp>flanger>chorus>distortion>bass.