1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flanger Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Nov 3, 2018.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    So many out there what seems to be the most used? And why is the Boss BF-2 wanted more than the BF-3 Flanger pedal?
    Not looking for a monster sized pedal either, Thank you all for any advise T/B

2. I recently purchased a TC Thunderstorm, replacing a TC Vortex, which was a bit 'digital' sounding. Does what I need it to and can't beat the price.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    There are many flanger pedals to choose from. here are my recommendations.

T.C electronics vortex/thunderstorm
    Mooer e-lady(electric mistress clone)
    joyo classic flanger
    ehx stereo electric mistress
    ebs unichorus
    mxr micro flanger
    source audio mercury

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I have a few TC pedals, that Vortex is easy on price, I will try one out, it just seems I see that Boss pedal on every ones board, there would be a reason for that, I also read that the Boss BF-2 is highy looked for a Bass pedal? looking for that Stanglehold Bass sound !

5. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    If I recall correctly, Stranglehold was used with a phase 90, not a flanger

eriky4003, vegas532 and mattbass6945 like this.
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I like the PBF.

Master Chief and johnk_10 like this.
  7. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Well what the hell, I buy a Phaser too, all set on stun.............Trek reference for the younger crowd.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I went through a bunch of them, the TC Dreamscape was my favorite.

bassbrad likes this.
  9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Not 100% positive but the BF-3 is probably digital while the BF-2 is probably analog, just like the Boss PH-2/3. Nothing wrong with digital pedals but the BF-2 will probably sound more "classic". The 3 would be more versatile though.

As for the most used, probably the EHX electric Mistress or a similar vintage circuit. You can find some solid chinese clones of the smaller E Mistress for very cheap.

Phasers are great too, personally I tend to use them more. The Boss PH-2 shows up fairly cheap used and is a solid classic phaser, has 2 modes as well for a more smooth and pronounced phase sound. Very funky/classic sounding phaser for the price. Then the MXR stuff is very popular, been wanting to get a clone of the MXR Phase 100 (The Biyang PH-8 is the cheapest) Tons of great clones out though including some more unique ones.

BassBeginer64 likes this.
  10. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Just to speak on the BF2 versus 3. I have had and loved both. The BF3 has some crazy oscillation that can occur when tweaked correctly, so it reminded me a bit of some of the whackier flanger I've had. The BF2 just sounds perfect no matter what. I HATE high resonance with flangers, so those both sound amazing IMO with the resonance lower.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I was never that crazy about flangers on bass. I personally think phase shifters sound a lot better.

StrangerDanger likes this.
  12. I had a BF2. I remember liking it, but eventually replaced it with a MXR Micro Flanger. Also like my Phase 90. There may be better phases, but I've never felt the need to change it out.

13. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I've got a Boss HF-2 with the Frommel mod. It's really nice. I've been thinking about picking up an old BF2 and modding that too, but it's more hassle than I want to deal with right now.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You recall correctly. Rob Grange borrowed it from Wyzard of Mother's Finest.

Anyway, my favorite flangers were always the EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress and the MXR black Flanger. But I recently got a Donner Jet Convolution flanger, which gives you a sound and functions almost identical to the DEM (DEM does sound richer), and it's tiny and cost me around $30. I also sometimes use the flanger on my MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe. Won't do the rocketship sounds, but does sound good for swirlies.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  15. I used an old ada flanger once. It was rad, but I can't afford one.

16. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    As others have said, the Boss BF-2 is analog. BF-3 is digital. I had a Made in Taiwan BF-2 (my first pedal) and it was a bit noisier than my friend's MIJ BF-2. I think the BF-2 is so popular just because people want something retro and there aren't a lot of retro flangers that were common aside from the Boss, the Electric Mistress, and the MXR. Of those, the Boss is the smallest, easiest to find, and arguably the most durable as well as the easiest to power.

17. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    BF-2 does just sound perfect every time you kick it on. I've owned many flangers, I've settled on that one.

18. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    the MXR big boy Flanger or the A/DA Flanger sound the best to me.

19. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    They're making a new modern version of it now, supposed to pretty accurate.

mattbass6945 likes this.