Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flanger, reverb, ect.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Apocalypse, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse

Oct 3, 2001
    Ok, let's get this out of the way. I am new. I suck. I like Fieldy (KoRn).

Now, can someone tell me what a flanger, reverb, and chorus are? Thanks a lot to anyone that replies.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

They are effects. The chorus is a modulation effect. The sound is similar to having two basses playing simultaneously. This is like the difference between one person singing a melody, and two people singing the same melody. Each voice will be a little off key. The resulting sound is much richer sounding. The flanger is a sweeping filter effect. (It is a swept comb filter to be precise.) The sound is similar to a plane taking off. A reverb is a device that emulates the natural echo sounds you hear in a live concert. This is similar to the sound you would hear if you sang in a church. The reverb effect attempts to recreate echo sounds that would not normally ve heard in the environment inwhich you are playing. For example, if you are playing in a small room, but you want to sound like you are playing in a stadium, the reverb unit would create stadium echo effect.

Chorus and flanger usually sound good on bass. Reverb almost never sounds good. (Except slap-back, or vocal-plate echo effects.) As always less is more.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Chorus sounds great when played with a pick. Listen to the intro of Tool's 46@2 to get an idea of what chorus sounds like. Reverb usually only sounds good when soloing or playing chords. (I think vocals and guitar WITHOUT reverb sound very dry and I don't like them without it) I once heard a double bass player using reverb on a solo during a jazz number and it sounded really cool.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse

Oct 3, 2001
    Wow thanks a lot for all the information. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Umm....I guess I plan on purchasing each. How much do they cost? Keep in mind, I don't want to spend too much money right now. Thanks again.

5. you get what you pay for
    dont buy multi-effect units no matter how much you think you want to spend
    for a semi cheap chorus try the boss ceb-3 and they make a decent flanger as well. I would recommend waiting for a bit better of a chorus though