Flanger, reverb, ect.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Apocalypse, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Apocalypse

Oct 3, 2001
    Ok, let's get this out of the way. I am new. I suck. I like Fieldy (KoRn).

Now, can someone tell me what a flanger, reverb, and chorus are? Thanks a lot to anyone that replies.
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

They are effects. The chorus is a modulation effect. The sound is similar to having two basses playing simultaneously. This is like the difference between one person singing a melody, and two people singing the same melody. Each voice will be a little off key. The resulting sound is much richer sounding. The flanger is a sweeping filter effect. (It is a swept comb filter to be precise.) The sound is similar to a plane taking off. A reverb is a device that emulates the natural echo sounds you hear in a live concert. This is similar to the sound you would hear if you sang in a church. The reverb effect attempts to recreate echo sounds that would not normally ve heard in the environment inwhich you are playing. For example, if you are playing in a small room, but you want to sound like you are playing in a stadium, the reverb unit would create stadium echo effect.

Chorus and flanger usually sound good on bass. Reverb almost never sounds good. (Except slap-back, or vocal-plate echo effects.) As always less is more.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Chorus sounds great when played with a pick. Listen to the intro of Tool's 46@2 to get an idea of what chorus sounds like. Reverb usually only sounds good when soloing or playing chords. (I think vocals and guitar WITHOUT reverb sound very dry and I don't like them without it) I once heard a double bass player using reverb on a solo during a jazz number and it sounded really cool.
  4. Apocalypse

Oct 3, 2001
    Wow thanks a lot for all the information. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Umm....I guess I plan on purchasing each. How much do they cost? Keep in mind, I don't want to spend too much money right now. Thanks again.
  5. you get what you pay for
    dont buy multi-effect units no matter how much you think you want to spend
    for a semi cheap chorus try the boss ceb-3 and they make a decent flanger as well. I would recommend waiting for a bit better of a chorus though