Flanger that works like a wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bagusys, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    After a lot of research I have found that this doesn't exist, people don't know what i'm talking about or it just can't be done.
    What I'm looking for is a flange pedal where I can control the sweep of the flange, the wave or osculation, by an expression pedal. Basically making a wah like flange.

The majority of answers I get:
    Links to a flange pedal with an expression output (those pedals control speed, depth, LP filters, etc everything but the actual effect)

If anyone knows if this exist or how/who can mod it please let me know...

2. The Source Audio Orbital might get you there. But you need to use the SA expression pedal, I believe.

3. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    I've looked into that one, It can do what I want on the Phaser I think, but for the Flange, it controls depth and speed, so u can make it go up and down faster or deeper, but you cant control the actual motion. I basically want a flange at full depth that can control with a foot pedal

4. On the Orbital, the expression pedal should be able to control any knob function, if I understand it correctly. So you could set the expression to work with the 'Option' knob to control the mix, for example, to go from minimal effect to maximum effect. Or you could set it to work with the delay or feedback functions. The trouble with flangers, in your case I think, is that most have more than one control that alter the effect-- usually manual/delay and resonance/feedback, then depth and rate, etc. That's why most have 4+ knobs instead of just one or two.

5. drewfx

drewfx

May 14, 2009
    A flanger is generally just a very short delay with the delay time modulated. If all you want to do is control the delay sweep manually with a pedal, perhaps there are delay pedals that have fine enough range/resolution to do this.

6. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    The Orbital Modulator plus the Source Audio expression pedal can do this easily. Just dial up any of the Flangers (there are 5 different ones) and assign the expression control to the freq/delay knob. Done.

7. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    so if I run distortion through it, and usually when u turn on a flange, u hear that up and down it does. With the pedal hooked up and assigned, you wont hear that? the flange will sit still at wherever it is?

8. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    That is correct. You can control the up and down with your foot. This pedal allows you to control the up and down with an envelope detector as well.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The Hartman flanger sounds like exactly what you are looking for! It has a toggle switch that stops the sweep and lets you set the pedal in any position in the sweep for that "cocked wah" tone. Its actually a great pedal for bass use.

10. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    Wow awesome that is a great one. I could have used that on my guitar rig. Back in the day I used the digi gnx 4. put the flange on the distortion and made the depth so small it sounded like a fixed flange, that became my general distortion and it sounded AMAZING! almost like that chorus mixed with distortion that Ride the lightening has.

My use for this now it to add a variety when me (Bass) and my guitarist trade off solos. I love my Dunlop bass crybaby, but I LOVE variety even more, I've always wanted to use a flange for this function. I also use a Line 6 MM4 cuz the "Tweek" button really makes the tremolo choppy and I do some fun poopie with that. The soundblox with the pedal sounds like a winner cuz that also has some phasers and resonaters I can shag with. I contacted SB also and they said this is exactly what I can do with them. Thank you everyone for the help

11. Another possibility, I'm told, is the Moog Clusterflux. It's supposedly a "do all" of modulated delay, that can get you flange, chorus, delay sounds, maybe even phase..... It's pricey though, but perhaps that hartman is the way to go.

I have also wanted to be able to do what you describe.

CM

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021