Flanger vs. Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by laea7777, May 27, 2022.

1. laea7777

laea7777

May 3, 2022
    I think chorus is more common on famous bass recordings, but I tend to like flanger better.

Based on your experience and/or best guess, if a band member requests that you put a chorus effect on your bass and all you have is a flanger, what percentage of the time will it be close enough?

Thanks.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Around
    Unless you dial in over the top jet flange or bearing in a tube sounds, you could probably use a flanger in place of chorus most of the time.

3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    In essence they are the same effect, or at least achieved in much the same way. I have wondered in the past why the control ranges on some pedals aren't extended (longer delay times, deeper feedback) to cover both outcomes.

But to the question, I've used flangers that can create passable (but not great) chorus effects on the most subtle settings, but not many chorus that can do useful flange effects, mainly because the longest delay times are still too short.

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

It's probably the case with most flangers, but the Boss BF-3 can do a very good chorus effect. I don't use it much, but a bass-player friend of mine who plays metal uses it anytime he can live or on recordings, through an LS-2, just to give more dimension to his sound.

laea7777 likes this.
  5. It would depend on which flanger, use a short delay with minimum regeneration and you should be okay but if your flanger is a DanElectro Psycho Flange Triple Thick, not happening.

images (6).jpeg

PhatBottomBass1 and laea7777 like this.
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Pbf can get really quite close to chorus.
    That has done ok for me so far.

laea7777 likes this.
  7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    13.2%

laea7777 likes this.
  8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Bacoli, Italy
    MXR Bass Chorus can do both.

PhatBottomBass1 and laea7777 like this.
  9. The Ampeg Liquifier was supposed to do both, as well. The chorus was very lush sounding but I did not feel it got to the flanger sound I was hoping for.

laea7777 likes this.
  10. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Get a decent multi mod and have lots of options of all 4: chorus, flanger, phaser and rotary. Personally, I use a Source Audio Lunar.

laea7777 likes this.
  11. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Depending in the unit they can come close. The fulltone choralflange is a great chorus pedal and an OK flanger. I personally don't like neither on bass though.

laea7777 likes this.
  12. laea7777

laea7777

May 3, 2022
    I bought a used Boss BF-3. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Derek Williams likes this.
  13. MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe (M83)

Chorus

• Intensity: 5
    • Rate: 3
    • Width: 6

Swing 66 Rotosounds .105 - .080 - .065 - .045

.73 pick but can't remember what they are....

laea7777 likes this.
  14. Chorus - Flange
    Potaeto - Potartoh

laea7777 and Heikki L. like this.