Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flanger Vs phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    whats the differfence between these 2?

also, what good sounding pedal has a knob to control the oscilation of the effect, interad of setting the speed you control the oscilation with the knob

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Flanger sounds more like a plane taking off.

3. Anthony Jackson used a phaser on The O'Jays' 'For the love of money". It's especially noticeable on the intro. Van Halen's 'And the cradle will rock' is a good example of prominent phase tone. Can't think of a good one for flanger, although I'd bet it's more often used on bass than phaser. I want both! You might find sound clips on mfr's websites, for example, Jim Dunlop.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i know how they sound both, but whats exacoy the difference? noit too technical, but just to know whts happening with the sound. they both oscilate, but what is oscilating?

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

wow, i just readed the article on effect, i cleared up a lot.

this wasa taken from there:

Sweep Depth
    (Range) This parameter is used to control how far the notches sweep up and down in frequency. In some cases, you may be able to select actual frequency values, and in other cases, the base frequency may be set to some value and you can only control how far from that frequency the sweep will go.

when it says that in some cases i can selectr actual frequences: i can leave the RANGE in 0, and select the freq thats the center of the oscilation, and since the oscilation is very little, ill be controling it with the center knob, right?

so, what parameter i must change to choose the center of the oscilation? this applys also to flangers, right?