Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flangers?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Feb 5, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey i was playing with my friend's POD PRO the other day and I really liked the sound of the "grey flanger" effect. I believe that it's modeled after the MXR Flanger, and i can't get the sound out of my head.

Is the MXR a decent bass flanger as far as they go? Where can i expect to find one and how much do they cost? Also, will it leave my sound unaffected when it's not in use? Thanks for any input, it's much appreciated.
    Brian.

2. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Hey, yeah... I've been looking at these too, as of right now I use a Boss BF-2 but I'm looking around for something else, just for kicks.

How are the MXRs?

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    is the b2f a bass flanger, or is it made for guitar...?
    I haven't played an MXR, i've just messed with the POD's modeled version of it, but i think it's quite nice. One thing i like is that it has a low pass filter, so your lows don't get broken up by the flange effect.

4. THe BF2 is made for a guitar but it doesn't effect your lows to much, this is what I find anyways. It may a little but its nothing you can't cope with. I wouldn't mind trying a flanger thats designed for a bass though, just to see the difference.

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    IMO the MXR flanger is ideal for bass. No loss of lows. No unwanted coloring in bypass. The T.C. Electronics chourus/flange is a better box, but twice as expensive. You can pick up the MXR for around $130 new. Well worth it. Very versitile effect.

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey thanks for the advice... any suggestions on where in can buy one? Musician's friend doesn't have em, niether does bass central, atleast not on the website...

oh.. and upon research, the MXR flanger isn't made for bass either, i guess it's just good at it..

7. The new BF-3 Flanger by Boss has a bass in as well as guitar in.

8. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Actually, the flange on the TC Electronics SCF rather sucks, in my opinion. Far too subtle, and not as flexible as other flangers.

That MXR sounds pretty bad@ss, though... I'ma have to check one out.

I found a vintage(?) Morley flanger with a treadle (ala a wah/whammy) on eBay not long ago, but had no money at the time. That thing was pretty sweet looking.

9. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    bump...

anyone else have info on these, i found the TC Electronic 1020 rackmount flanger and it looked awesome. I have a stereo poweramp and cabinet, so i could run stereo chorus if i got one. WOuld this be overkill, or would it be noticeably better than a flanger pedal??

anybody else have info on these? It's hard because i've never seen one at a guitar store, so i'd like to be more informed before i ask them to start ordering stuff for me to try.

Thanks
    Brian.

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Big huge chrome thing? I actually bought one of those new -- still have it. Cool thing is it will sweep either by clock (like most flangers) OR according to your foot on the pedal -- making it a kind of a psycho wah thing. I used to use it all the time. I may bring it to a gig sometime soon, though -- thinking about it is winding me up for it!

11. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My BOSS BF-2 is good and wild enough for the few occasions I utilize it in.

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i personally am intrigued by the new BF-3. i may actually get it sometime.

from what i've heard around these parts, the new mxr flanges can't compare to the older units.

14. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001

Yeah, that! I'm kicking my @ss for not having the funds for it when I first saw it. Now I'm digging all over the place trying to find one. I love flange, and I'm trying to find the best one for me. My Boss is fine, but I find it a little too generic for my tastes.

How long ago did you buy yours, eli?
    How much?
    Where?

15. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

Place and price no longer relevant.

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have an old Japanese BF-2 and I love it, even though it's kind of noisy. If you take off the back plate you will find 3 trimpots. One adjusts the effect level, one affects the range of the manual control, and one controls the depth of the resonance control. It's fun to mess around them to see if you can tweak the pedal to better suit your situation.

I love those sorts of hidden features-my old CE-2 chorus also has an internal wet/dry blend pot, and the EH BassBalls has 2 internal trimpots that change the filter ranges.

One of the cool things about the MXR is that the filter sweep starts in the part of the cycle it was in when you last turned it off-Eddie Van Halen used this feature to great effect.

Another very groovy flanger is the ADA-if you listen to Steve Stevens (he played guitar with Billy Idol and did a really cool album with Tony Levin and Terry Bozzio called Black Light Syndrome) the ADA is what he uses to get all those freaky spaceship and raygun effects. I got to fool around with a Bass POD for the first time over the weekend and although it sounded good it didn't seem to get quite as weird as the original FX it models.