Flash Memory MP3 Players...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Knavery, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Does anyone have one of these contraptions? Could you tell me the difference between a regular iPod and a flash memory player? My dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I am trying to decide if this is a nice gift or not or worth the money. thanks.

2. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I have mpx220 (its a phone with flash mp3 player...)

Ipod: more space

Flash: removable flash so you can transfer data easier... (you can do that with ipod except you need a crack to do that)

Basically i have around 300 songs on my phone that i replace once in a while... Only reason i have flash mp3 player is because i wanted everything in one small device so i wouldn’t have to have 3-5 difference things in my pocket...

Its a phone, PDA (w/internet), mp3 player, video player, games, camera... if it wasn’t for that i would have had ipod because of space... 30gigs is pretty cool... i don’t like idea that if i want more then 1 or 2 gigs i have to carry extra card with you which is pretty small so you can loose it and it is expensive addon... I really think unless you get what I have ipod is way to go… store as much as you want… you basically store your entire “good” collection on it… if its under 30 gigs;)

Good luck with that...

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Flash = smaller, cheaper, not as much room. Think USB keychain hard drive. That's flash.
  4. MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    Flash players are much more durable, and you can excercise with them.

Hard-drive based players have... well, a hard-drive, which spins around, and can break more easily from rough use.

5. what he^^^^ said

so just make sure you consider what you are going to use it for.
  6. I'm still waiting for a 1-2 gig mp3 playin, 6 megapixel camera phone.

isn't samsung doing this? soon? THAT is what I want. All my contraptions on the fly. I really don't need 10,000 songs in my pocket. 3-400, yes.
  7. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yes I thought about the moving parts vs. flash memory option. Granted you can get more on an iPod, my father, I believe, has the Samsung 1gig memory MP3 player. It also works as a USB data stick, dictator machine, and AM/FM radio.

I would primarily be using it for the gym. I would also guess that without moving parts, the batteries will last longer as well. I'm now trying to rationalize whether I can still just use my CD Walkman or get the flash player.
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Flash, if you say gym.

HDD-based players have a disk protection, that emergency-stops the disk and lifts the reader magnet when sensing sudden change in speed (it presumes it's falling and it does that so to prevent damage to the disk). That means if you make some sudden moves, the disk will stop, wait, and restart a lot of times. (probably it wont stop playing, there's still some buffer memory)

I have a 512MB Creative Muvo, and it does the job finely. I can pack 5-6 albums on it @128kbps mp3. With 1GB, you have even morre space
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I bought my girlfriend on of the iPod Shuffles (terribly misnamed since you can listen to stuff in order)...and she loves it. Its really small, so easy to take on the go and very hardy. Yes, it doesn't hold as much but she doesn't have to worry about smashing it and it fits in ANY pocket. No need for batteries as it charges when plugged into her laptop. For those who don't feel the need to put 300 albums on their player (she owns about 20 albums altogether) its perfect.
  10. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yeah I hear ya. Of the 350 or so CDs that I do that, there are only a few that I really listen to now. Either way, getting 5-6 albums on a 1gig memory flash player is a lot better then what I use now -- a big chunky CD walkman. Hehe.
  11. You should be able to fit @ 20 album's worth on that. Or, like I would do, a whole bunch of songs that you're guaranteed to like.
  12. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    phone with mp3 player owns you all:)