Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flashing and P.C. Correctness

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 11, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Last night, I think I saw my 100th pair of female breasts from the stage. Not that I lose my riff whebn I can't help but see it while I'm playing. But to me, this whole half-drunk woman thing of lifting up their tops and screaming "woo woo" is getting worn out. I saw it year after year at Mardi Gras for years.

Moreover, these same women will tell you - "BUT I don't want to be perceived as just a sex object".........er, umm.....skewz me m'am - could you confuse me a little more, please????

What's worse, the cops came into the club and told the manager we would have to quit playing if the flashing didn't stop because the club would have to get something called "an adult cabaret license."

Outdoor gigs in 99-degree heat, I understand it. But, it seems to get the boyfriends ticked off and the club owners, too, when it gets out of hand at 1 am.

Is this stuff wearing a bit thin in your area yet??? As a guy, I figure I could bare my buns and probably empty the club.

Just curious, "Dear Abby".

2. you posted this thread solely to brag, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Your life is tough. I pity you and your bandmates. Maybe you could start playing gay bars to avoid the abundant breasts.
    ;)

4. rickbass

Hardly (no pun intended; you often crack me up, dancehall!).

It really does lead to problems. Boyfriends get P.O.'d because their dates attract every horn-dog in the joint and it leads to fights. The bouncers have to get on edge. Fights bring cops.

The undercover cops can get on the club owners if they're not on good terms.

It seems rampant at university/college gigs. That's okay but the Campus Activity Directors who pay us get hell for it when it causes problems.

If it wasn't so ubiquitous, it would retain its "outrageousness" and it would still be fun!!!

It just seems a little bit like the old days when all of we guys thought it was a big deal to moon the audience. Nowadays, it mooning seems practically "worn out."

The big difference was - we didn't start lawsuits when we got targeted as being "easy lays"!!! (Hell, being a musician does that already, doesn't it? :D ).

5. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i would be more afraid of what else gets.. uh... "flashed"

6. rickbass

That's how we felt at first.......until it just became a weak as the Jim Morrison "lizard king" and it wasn't so much of a "party" any longer.

Bare midriffs are cool - but after seeing the 5000th ersatz J-Lo, the ones left to the imagination look cooler, IMO.

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Well rickbass, I can't say I'm tired of having women flash me, but I see what you mean. I've noticed a bit of hipocrisy among women (girls?) in clubs that play "bootie music" on band breaks. First, we are told that women are not sex objects. And if we make a "sexist" remark we get the riot act read to us. Yet, when the "bootie music" is playing, these women will be on the dance floor shaking their butts and rubbing their body parts on men they don't even know! Dancing to sexist lyrics like "Just shake that a$$ bi%$h and let me see what you got" or "You a fine mot#$%f%$^er won't you back that a$$ up.
    Seems like sexism is OK as long as you're having fun and lookin' hot!

8. rickbass

Thanks for getting it, Ineal! Freak dancing always threw me a little as far as intent. But at least the "meat? wasn't in the butcher shop window.

New Year's Eve and Mardi Gras are one thing that I understand........another Friday night isn't.

I guess I'm just "old." Man, I'd be really rich is "date rape" applied to men!!!!

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Dance/rock clubs are there for people to hook up. It is not about the music, and despite what club owners think, it's not even about alcohol. Both music and beer serve to perpetuate the species via the weekly club ritual. So, at clubs we're just like the other animals in pre-mating situations - we display our desirable features (flashing) and protect our mates and/or display strength (fights). I'm pretty sure the women with the most attractive breasts leave with the winners of the fights.

Out of curiosity, on average what percentage of people at these clubs leave with someone new? 10%? 25%? How about those who leave alone, but w/ 1 or more phone #s? 15%?

10. rickbass

:confused:

What is the name of this chain of altruistic clubs? ;)

Dance/rock music and philanthropy......I'm up for that!!!

11. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    LOL!:D

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Well, it's not philanthropy in that clubs do make a profit on alcohol. But, you don't have to drink. I've seen plenty of bands for no cover. I even met women there . . .

I used to have a drummer who worked as a bartender at a strip club. You had to pay for liquor, but they gave the beer away for free. They did have an expensive cover though. I saw many women there, but met none of them.

13. rickbass

Yeah, jon - a high cover charge may compensate for the money a club would otherwise make at the bar.

With the way DUI levels have become so ridiculously minimal, drinking at a club is a hard decision if you're the driver. I gave up drinking years ago. But, they get my money on the cans of Red Bull now :D

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So play the gay bars, then.

15. rickbass

:D I don't even want to think about what's getting whipped out in those places, Munji. But the dancing would sure be better!

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    alright, you've officially grossed me out here, bud.

:D

17. rickbass

There's gotta be a prize for that!!!

No joke - some clubs I've played have these elevated dancing platforms in the middle of the floor or huge subwoofer cabs at the back of the room that people dance on (you've seen them, I imagine).

When some of the gay guys get up there and dance by themselves, the ladies know they can't even compete, so they stay on the floor. I guess flashing then becomes their only way to say, "Hey, look at me!!!"

18. Thank you for revealing the secret of the evolutionary regression of the human species.

Boy, we sure could use a little more chlorine in the gene pool, that is pretty pathetic. I have a dream where we might all live in a world where you have to get a license to breed.

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    P.C. Correctness = Politically correct correctness...???:confused: :rolleyes: :D

20. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Or at least take child rearing classes before you can reproduce.

Back on subject:

I love breasts and hope I never tire of them. They are a magnificent! Flashing is GRAND!!