1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flashing lights == extreme disorientation?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by zoonose, Dec 18, 2018.

1. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    Sound guy got a bunch of new gear. More everything. Really bright lights, and lots of them, aimed right at us. Every time they went into flash mode, I messed up, badly. EVERY TIME. Like I couldn't focus, think clearly, or play with even marginal competence. Anyone else ever experience something like this?

2. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Flashing as in changing scenes quickly, or actual strobe lights? I would not tolerate strobe lights on anywhere near me. I hate flashing lights (and yes, they are disorienting) tell the light man to knock it off.

3. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    Actually flashing, at a rate like strobes. An inordinate amount of the time, too, or so it seemed to me.

EatS1stBassist and murphy like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I hate that stuff - doesn't help I've had seizures. Tell him to aim them at the floor or backdrop, and not to overuse them, or they could spontaneously disappear.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

time to talk with the cat running lights! ;) good luck!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    I brought it up as soon as I realized what was going on. Soundguy's response: "There's always one." Lead guitar/de facto BL: "So you're allergic to lights now?" Lights remained unchanged for the third set.

SirMjac28, TalHaz and EatS1stBassist like this.
  7. only had this once..... we were playing in a stage with 4 other bands and lighting / PA / Mics all supplied by the venue which was great, but right next to me was a big Yellow light.... I had to stand next to the drummer to avoid the light, but every time I had to go to my mic to sing BV's I was literally 'blinded by the light' (excuse the very bad pun).
    The light was actually hot and made me sweat profusely - which was very uncomfortable ... thankfully we were only playing a 50-60 minute set!

EatS1stBassist and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. Photosensitive epilepsy is a real thing. ask light dude if he wants to be responsible for you having a seizure.

9. Photosensitive epilepsy is a real thing. ask light dude if he wants to be responsible for you having a seizure.

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah I definitely get this with a strobe light, can't play or do anything requiring coordination while it's on. I've noticed even the sun shining through regularly spaced trees while I'm driving can have somewhat the same effect, it's disturbing.

11. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Alexandria, LA
    I'm pretty certain it's not photosensitive epilepsy, which is super rare(also, I've never had a seizure). My research suggests "flicker vertigo", which is not uncommon, and fits the situation exactly. Yeah, I'm not digging the new lights.

12. The two new sets of Chauvet 4 bar lights that I just got have a strobe feature. I have an older set of 4 bars as well that are above our banner in the back. I like the strobe feature used very little, and always leave the back lights on when using the strobe from the sides. That way it gives a little of the affect without being disorienting. Also I can set the strobe sets to a color other than white before making them strobe so it's not like Saturday Night Fever mode.

Just how it works for us.

zoonose likes this.
  13. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    So they didn’t care that the lights caused you to “mess up badly, every time”. Next time, stop playing mid phrase, spiral down to a sitting position, and projectile vomit on the Band Leader.

14. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Strobe lights make me sick real fast. Blinking stage lights pointed at me ar ok for short spurts only. Bring a bb pistol or pellet gun and shot them out. Really the band will have to side with you on this. No one know what they would really do but I think I would just stop playing every time the flashing got to be too much, which could very well become every time.

EatS1stBassist, Mr_Moo and zoonose like this.
  15. Way back in the day, I did lights as in light shows. We did a gig where later we all found out that a drummer on the gig was epileptic. The lights triggered a light seizure. We all felt bad. He was OK and said he felt bad because he could have said something but didn't think the stuff we were doing would affect him.

EatS1stBassist, Mr_Moo and zoonose like this.
  16. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    They can just get a bass player who isn't bothered by lights.:woot:

17. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Similar issues here with strobe lights. Hate them. I get a similar reaction and it also seems to trigger my motion sickness some.

This could be a serious health situation for some people so your band members should not push it aside. If they don't listen, I'd recommend @jbybj's post #13 above.

18. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    I'm not digging the attitude of these people. I sure as heck would not be in a long term relationship with such douchbags.

19. I took flying lessons years ago and learned about flicker vertigo, when sunlight reflected off of spinning propeller blades makes an aircrewman sick or dizzy. The recommended action if it occurs was to change the RPM of the engine slightly to a frequency which is less upsetting. It supposedly rarely gets bad enough to cause these things, but even when it's not making you sick or dizzy it's still really annoying, like someone mentioned, it's like sunlight through passing trees that drives you nuts. Try doing anything complicated in a room with strobe lights flashing. Tell your sound guy to go easy on it.

Mr_Moo, zoonose and Kubicki Fan like this.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    With some people this will trigger seizures

For me flashing lights are annoying

EatS1stBassist, DJ Bebop and zoonose like this.