1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flashing lights in my Pr-410hlf! Ha

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gismo, Feb 21, 2008.

1. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    So, I'm running my GK 2001RB through my Ampeg Pr-410hlf. My guitarist slides a BBE 362 into my effects loop and there were flashes of light coming from inside my cab! What the? Is this normal? Ha. Turned of the BBE, and no lights. Crappy BBE, not for me.

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Does your cab have a tweeter in it? Many companies put a light bulb in series with the tweeter to give a visual warning when the driver is being driven hard and as a fuse to blow out before the tweeter does. I don't know what a BBE 362 is, but does it add highs?

3. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    It has a horn. I'm not using the horn, turned it off. Does the bulb protect the rest of the speakers? The BBE is a sonic maximizer, I don't know what it does. I do know that it takes the warmth out of my sound.

4. I have the same cab...there are lights in the crossover that work as a fuse if you will, it keeps the tweeter from blowing. The only time i have ever had that happen was when i overdrove an amp i was using and it sent a spike of power into the cab....The BBW probably boosted your signal and then peaked your amp (no the gain stage but the power stage) causing it to happen...
    J

5. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    Will the bulb blow before the speakers do? Yeah, the BBE really didn't help. It didn't sound pleasant at all.

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    The sonic maximizer is a gimmick for those who have no idea how to properly use EQ. Scrap it. Stick with clean natural bass tone, and learn how to properly tweak your amp for your ideal tone. Don't stick band-aids on it, and for Gawd's sake, don't let a gui**** touch bass gear! Especially YOURS! :D

7. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    Haha. I figured. I love the sound of my head. The thing is, he bought this thing as a package, with 3 other useful rack effect units inside a 4-space SKB case for dirt cheap. He personally hates sonic maximizers and just wanted to see what it would sound like. Haha. We'll sell it somewhere.

An ampeg tech told me to look into a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI. Why?

8. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    ???

I have NO IDEA why he thinks you need a D.I. other than the one built into your Ampeg. My old B2R's DI was just fine, and I ran a SVT-4PRO into a Fridge for a two day festival, and we only used the amp's DI for every bassist.

He's just trying to get you to spend money. That's all.