1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"flashlight" synth tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guest043, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i know, its an analog key synth. but what bass pedal-style units can get close to it? i own a G5 and cant get anywhere near that sound.

ive played it using all sorts of combination of synths (G5), fuzz/suboctave, envelope, whatever, and anything synthy does sound really good for that song..but nothing can cop that sound of the original track..

maybe some of you octavius squeezer pioneers have some insight for me? deep impact? anything?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I'm pretty sure the Keyboard used on the origanal is a Moog, so I'd look at moogs.

3. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    yeah it was a moog..i wonder if a moogerfooger can do that? i dont really think so, cause none of them are bass synth processors..theyre just like the filter section, or your bass driving the ocillators, ext ext..

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Yeah, most likely you'd have to buy the lot to even get close...............................

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    if you patched a few of the Moog modules together, you could probably do it-- like a MuRF into a filter or so on. If you absolutely compressed the ($%* out of the bass signal, that might help.

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i dont personally own one....but i'd be surprised if the octavius squeezer couldn't pull it off.

7. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    i doubt a lot of moogs could pull it off as that's not reallyyyy what they're made for
    deep impact possibly or yeah, i'd be interested to know if the squeezer can... come to think of it i'd be interested what the full range of useableness the squeezer can produce

8. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    It's not just the tone - you've got to be able to reproduce any portamento present also. This can be tricky as it's no problem sliding to a note a 4th, 5th or 8ve away on a synth, but it's much harder (or impossible) on bass without also 'retriggering' the note.

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    You'd need something else running along with it. The bass synth on Flash Light is octave doubled, and the OS can only synthesize one note.

10. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I use a Boss FT2 envelope filter with a down sweep and a Boss OC2 with the original note at unity gain and the first octave down at around 11 o'clock, second octave off.

11. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    you mean like reopening the filter?

i honestly dont expect octavius to be able to do this..its a real oldschool synth sound, and as cool as OS looks, its definately not trying to model vintage sounds, its making new ones- wich is great.

i like playing it with an OC-2 with just the suboctave cranked, no dry, into a messdrive..maybe with compression and some other more tweakable fuzz i can probobly get pretty close. closer than a deep impact or G5 can get, atleast.

12. ehx bassballs does a good cop. turn the distortion on and adjust the response to taste.

another good option (more expensive though) is to get an Octaver, then a fuzz, and then an envelope filter (in that order) and you can cop some key or synth tones.

adivin likes this.