Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flashpoint - Steve Smith & Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Hey AJ fans,

They have Steve Smiths' new album listed over at Audiophile. Check the clips out. Sounds like it should be great to me! Always good to have new material with the man in it.

Click

Update: Just found out that Anthony Jackson will also be on Lee Ritenours new album "World of Brazil". Other bassists that are present include: Nathan East, John Patitucci and Melvin Lee Davis. I'm not quite sure if this is a compiliation or a new studio album. Just thought I'd throw it out there for you.

OK, upon further research, looks like this is a compilation.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Awaiting YOUR review.

I guess I got pinged with the same e-mail; looks like some decent stuff!
    I thought about the Jaco/Word Of Mouth DVD...$75?! Uh, no.

Bozzio & O'Hearn on DVD? Kazumi Watanbe with 'El Negro' & Bona on DVD? Sounds cool as does the Zawinul Syndicate DVD(must have a multi-Region player...so that's out for me).

I did notice the Legends' cd is now available; I have a boot of a Legends' show from '99(?)...mostly Blues-Rock & not very good, IMO.

3. Hey Jim,

When I receive my copy, I'll definitely throw up a review. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it as well!

Yeah, I hear ya on the Jaco DVD. Little too rich for my blood. Not a big enough Jaco fan I guess. ;)

4. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I picked up the Steve Smith cd last night ( after seeing this thread). Actually found it in a store, imagine that.

So far, I like it. The usual great playing by AJ and everyone else. The music falls somewhere between Camillo w/AJ and Petrucciani w/AJ and something a tiny bit heavier ( if that makes any sense). Not blown away by the songwriting, but definately worth picking up.

On another note, I LOVE Dave Weckls new one, Multiplicity. I think Tom Kennedy is my new favorite. And Ric Fierabracci (sp?) is cool, too.

5. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Oh, and Bill Conners latest with Lincoln Goines is real cool in an electric bass in an acoustic jazz kind of setting ( not straight ahead, though).

6. Cool!! Thanks for the review. I'll definitely be picking it up than.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Great "heads up" thread!!

:)

8. I ordered Return from Bill Connors at my local Barnes & Noble today. Should be arriving for me to pickup soon. Become a recent fan of Lincoln Goines. His playing is great!

Also ordered Flashpoint from Audiophile.

Gonna be some good music soon!

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those Real Player samples are great! I'm officially on the lookout for that CD.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Tom Kennedy, Lincoln Goines, Matt Garrison, Anthony Jackson, Victor Wooten......some of my favorite players, and all play Foderas.....Hmmmmm ;)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...must be the bass, right?

Actually, IIRC, Kennedy was the first I ever saw witha Fodera...I picked up Assembler back in the '80s(I think) & saw the bass in the liners; I noticed it sounded sweet. A couple of Weckl back, though, I noticed Kennedy was a Yamaha-user/sponsor. Is he back to Fodera basses?

12. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    With my hack talent.....I would probably get struck by lightning if I had a Fodera :eek:

13. Yeah, Tom is back to Fodera. He has a signature model anyways so I would assume that he's endorsing them.

Not sure why he went Yamaha for awhile. Couldn't quite figure that one out.

The Fodera sounds good on the Collective DVD.

14. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    Great link, man. I've been wanting to get some cool music dvd's. Just a tip for everyone here; stay away from the BILL EVANS & RANDY BRECKER * SOULBOP BAND LIVE (DBL). I went to one of their shows, and let me tell you, it was embarrasing. They had clearly rehearsed the songs like once before the gig and said to each other: "Ok, so we sucked ass now but we'll probably nail it on the show." The whole show was an insult to the audience. Hiram Bulock played tasteless 11 minute solos in every damn song, so after about 20 minutes you were sitting there bored to death.

Don't get it even if you're a hardcore Bailey fan. He didn't take any solos during the night and you could see he was saving up for something special. So in the last song his special little something was finely taken out of the bag. It turned out he'd arranged Birdland in an extremely tacky two handed tapping version. Oh, the horror. But, at least he nailed that one right? No, not even did he nail his own solo arrangement. Now this is over a year ago and I still get a bit offended whenever I hear people talking about how great these guys are.

If anybody here's a great big fan of Randy Brecker, Bill Evans, Dave Kikoski, Hiram Bullock or Victor Bailey please don't take it personally when I say that they're a bunch of washed up old has-beens who should've retired ten years ago.

Thank you. I needed to get that off my chest. I'm not really a hateful person, but keeping an experience like that inside of yourself for over a year does that to you.

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Tell us how you really feel Paul :cool:

16. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    If anybody here's a great big fan of Randy Brecker, Bill Evans, Dave Kikoski, Hiram Bullock or Victor Bailey please don't take it personally when I say that they're a bunch of washed up old has-beens who should've retired ten years ago.WOW!!!! i guess you didn't dig the show you saw,that's cool but saying that a bunch of guy's in their 40's and early 50's are old and washed up and should of retired ten years ago is a little strong don't you think?

17. Well, I'm still waiting on this album. I think Audiophile ships by carrier pigeon.

18. I spoke with Audiophile today and apparently they had an influx of orders and were swamped for awhile. He said they shipped it out today.

Should have it soon.

19. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can't say that I care for anything that Steve Smith is a part of but those are some heavy weights he has for company on this date. Let us know what you think.