Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flashy Stuff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass_drum, Aug 24, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Who here does a lot of stuff for show, to get some attention? What exactly do you do? I for one dont do much but my guitarist does tons, he plays with his guitar behind his head , spins his guitar around his head, solos while runing around in a circle on the ground, etc.

I think I should start doing some of this stuff, and I want to get some ideas.

~JB~

P.S. Do you think its possible to solo with a freltess behind your head? :p

2. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Why would you want to emulate a guitarist? :meh:

3. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Haha... Sorry, but that is so 80s.

I sometimes do things for show, but it's usually some kind of acrobatics with the drummer. When we hit a groove, I can do just about anything with him, and we bounce a lot of things off of each other. If he chooses a rudiment like a paradiddle, I may try to emulate it, and vice versa.

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    well doing flashy stuff doesnt mean emulating a guitarist.
    And i know its "so 80's" but the audience here love it, so I figure if we all throw a bit in, not so much as to over-do-it, but jsut enough, the audience will love it!

5. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Fire's always a good one to use.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I lick my eyebrows.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Play naked.

8. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Put your bass across your basck, guitarst does the same, reach around each other and solo at the same time whilst running around in circles.

Ah, the wonders of Vai and Sheehan live. Can't wait to see them.

Oh, FWIW, i'd never touch that kind of stuff, music speaks for itself to me.

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    You know what? I've been thinking about it, and that is so true.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You can do the Hedrix playing with the mouth trick. My friends really get taken by it. Especially the girls...

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    At the end of one song, and only one song per gig, I hold the root and when everything goes almost quiet I slide up an octave. Nail it at the right time and jaws drop :bassist:

I know, it is not as flashy as playing behind your back or with your teeth, but it gets everybody (including the bands) attention. Try it, people will forget the million mistakes you made and remember that slide :p

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I stand back in the corner and groove.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Glissando at the end of a song? Fifty-dollar fine.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    And a good caning, too.

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Do you accept Canadian Tire money?

16. I play in a KISS tribute band, so man... lots of stuff, obviously.

It's kinda corny at first, but it some of that stuff really helps you develop a stage presence - assuming you want one!

17. A reach-around, huh? :rolleyes: Don't think so....

18. well since i love jimi and srv so much occasionally on easy songs ill play behind my head or behind my back....

when we cover seven nation army and i have my mates digitech synth wah pedal i put it on a synth patch during the chorus' and take my bass off throw it around and just tap out the line cos its so easy....

also if its groovin majorly and the chicks are dancin ill leave the stage and start dancin with the chicks while playin

and just other stupid stuff that comes to mind

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm all about the flashy stuff. Live music should be entertaining visually as well as sonically. Otherwise just put on a CD.

But that doesn't mean you should just flail about aimlessly. So many people say, "You got to move around onstage." Well what exactly does that mean? Does it mean you should jump up and down all the time and run across the stage constantly? Does it mean you should do choreography?

If you do flashy stuff, make it mean as much to the music as your playing. Don't be ridiculous about it. Make it appropriate to the songs you play.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    None of you know what people want...

Do a riverdance...

[​IMG]

People dig river dance and you can do it... they never move their upper bodies so you can still play and dance!

Cheers