Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flat black body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bryan2112, Aug 16, 2004.

1. ok, i had to sell my roscoe for financial reasons and i'm happy it's going to a good tb home! half the money is going in the bank, the remainder is going towards a usacg jazz 5 string. i only needed half of what i got to get me back on track, so now i need to cure some GAS. i'm going to have the finish done by roxy but i was wondering if any of you have made/seen a body finished in flat black or black with a satin finish. are there drawbacks to this? this is obviously a cosmetic preference. it's going to have a pickguard so i'm not worried about "thumb oil" (yuck) by the pickups. something that was an issue on my old warwick masterman with satin finish.

i guess the bottom line is looks. any pics or "points in the right direction" would be appreciated! :D

as always... thanks!

furio

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've a black satin finish on my G&L, and it seems none the worse for the wear, some 18 years later (an '86).

Doesn't pick up fingerprints like gloss does, and seems to be about the same as far as being scratch/scuff resistant.

3. Hey, it works for Ducatis....

I personally like it. No fuss finish and looks good when it gets abused.

Yup.