1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flat chrome-steel break-in time?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BostonPop01, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BostonPop01

BostonPop01

Jan 1, 2009
    Could folks who use flat chrome-steels share their experiences with the break-in time? I’m using spiro mittels on the lower two strings and really like the intensity and huge range of overtones of the FCS on the upper two strings. The G is proving to be a bit shrill and slightly more difficult to control. What can I expect in terms of it calming down/ warming up (even slightly!)? I play a rich sounding bass for orchestral use and the strings seem to complement its darker nature. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    im curious as well... the guy who does most theater work in chicago uses this setup

3. Did you notice a black rubber ring in the G string package?
    This is a tone filter and will calm down the string immediately.
    Flexocor rubber filter installation.gif

4. BostonPop01

BostonPop01

Jan 1, 2009
    Thanks for the reminder, Francois. It helped a quite bit, but I meant more how long it takes for the string to mature into its final form. I read elsewhere it can take 3-4 weeks.

Unfortunately after one orchestra rehearsal I’ve realized the gauge is too thin and mass too little to match my lower two strings, which I’m definitely not planning on changing. The search continues but I’m back to Spirocore mittels all across and am satisfied again for now.

bskts247 likes this.
  5. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Have you tried Passione starks or Flexocore Deluxes? They are stronger with great bowability. Dlxs are brighter and a bit heavier tension.

6. A Flexocor '92 G might be nice as well.