1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flat EQ on GK 800RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassthumpersf, Jul 17, 2012.

1. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

May 30, 2010
    A it 12 o'clock?

2. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    There is a thread in here somewhere where fdeck figured out that flat eq (on a gk backline 600) is as follows:
    Treble= -2
    Hi-mid= +1
    Lo-mid= -1
    Bass= -3
    Using the index marks under the knobs, + (plus) or - (minus) [whatever] # beginning from the straight up position...
    I assumed (yes, I know...) that the 800RB and 400RB would follow- or at least be close to flat -using the above. To my ears, it does seem correct.
    Hope this helps.

3. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I have one of the older 400rbs (looks like a mini 800rb) so sorry if i'm not welcome here but i find the eq all at 12 o'clock is perfect!

dannylectro likes this.
  4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The 400/800rb is a little different animal from a lot of the gK line in that it's lowend rolloff is filtered up higher.

I'd agree in cutting the treble a couple notches, bumping the mids, or at least the lowmid a notch. Don't know that I'd cut bass that much. Maybe 1 notch, 2 at the very most, more starts to thin it out, but, that could easily be my speakers and my ears. Never seen one measured, but like how they sound.

5. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    I'd agree that on my 400RB and 800RB that MINUS 3 on the bass is a bit more than I would have guessed to get to flat, and so persoanlly I only go to MINUS 2 or so for that one. (both are earlier models, dated to the early '90s I think)
    In any case, what I posted above was just as fdeck reported it, and YMMV, etc.
    I had always thought these amps were way too bright at 12 o'clock, so to subtract treble (to reach "flat") made sense to me.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think we're hearing pretty much the same things. I read through fdecks stuff too....good stuff. I've played a guys Backline 250 and goofed around with a 600. Played several 700/1001rbs too. As subjective as it may be with different speakers in different situations, etc., it felt/sounded like the bottom reached deeper, if you can take your brain away from the "more powerful/louder = better" thing. My Peavey Tmax and several other amps do the same thing......deeper bottom. Whether that's useful or not is a judgement call....I've never missed it, especially when slotting myself in with a band using the rig to carry the room.

800rb is my go to gig amp...love the thing....whatever it's doing. And yeah, all GK's have a boosted topend.

7. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    I don't make the rules, but why would you not be welcome here? Is this one of those, "I wouldn't be a member of a club that would allow me as a member"...?
    :)

8. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I am a long-time GK enthusiast, and getting a “flat” response has never been a concern of mine. I always start fresh with all EQ at noon, then a slight jiggling of the contour and bright controls. Then I touch up my tone after we start playing, using only a modest amount of EQ. I also always use my Demeter Compulator. The straight-ahead tone that I get from GK amps suits my fancy, the way it cuts through the mix, and adds a little growl is really all I need to know. I am thinking no way it is “flat”.

9. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    was worried someone would tell me to come back when my 400rb grows up to be an 800rb... just sayin'

10. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    400RB guy here... Every knob always set to 12 o'clock... maybe a one notch tweak of the hi mid, or bass knob, depending on the gig/room. Occasional use of hi boost & lo cut switches for really funky or new wave-y kinda songs.

It ain't flat, but it sure is sweet!

11. +1
    :bassist:

dannylectro likes this.
  12. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    No need for it to grow up, IMHO. I have gigged most my adult life with a li'l ol' 200 watt into 4 ohm 400RB, most of the time using two 8ohm 1x15 Mesa/Boogie diesels. I have rarely (if ever) not had the horsepower to be heard, with the input and boost and master all at noon, or maybe the master a little higher. If there were situations where I couldn't be heard, then everybody else in the band was way too loud for comfort, anyway, and I don't like that scenario enough to do it more than once...
    That amp and those speakers - I do not know, technically, how well they match up but to me, they are as good a match as could be. Extracting all the available power and then making her hit the rails, as they say. As God intended.
    :bassist:

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    GK refers to flat at 5 (12:00) in both the 400RB and 800RB manuals ... then salt and season to taste of course ... but shaken, not stirred please ...

14. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    +2. :)

dannylectro likes this.
  15. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    I hear all that.
    In my case, it was as a curiosity I decided to try the "actual flat" settings just to see how it sounded...and it is a bit different than straight up noon, but of course it is only a starting point anyway and in reality, straight up noon is about as good as it gets for me, in most situations.

16. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I have a 96 800rb and a MB800 and I still prefer my old 800rb. It's just perfect for most every indoor gig. YVMV

17. Here is what I've seen posted (by several users who play almost every day) on the newer SS GK and Fusion amps. Treble 11 o'clock, Hi-Mid 1 o'clock, Lo-Mid 2 o'clock, Bass 11 o'clock, contour off, all filters off. That is pretty much a flat-line response, but not the "GK sound." If you just leave all the EQ settings at noon that is the "GK sound." I use a GK 550, with both of these EQ settings. I just tap the footswitch and move from one to the other based on the song. I send a pre signal to the FOH with the volume levels the same, which keeps my levels consistent in the room.

18. Flat on the new SS is 10 2 1 10 o'clock bass -> treble.

19. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    12 o'clock on everything. Leave the switches alone. Then maybe a little extra bass. Maybe a bit less treble. Use the volume on your bass to get it right after that. Trust.

20. The question wasn't what sounds good, it was what is flat EQ. I could search up the frequency plot fdeck did on a modern GK but I won't. You will just have to take my word for it.

Scotty DelMar likes this.