Flat flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wessel, May 18, 2020.

1. Wessel

Wessel

May 16, 2020
    Hello,
    I am looking for new flatwounds for my bass. It already has flatwounds when I bought it but the low E snapped. They really played well and are very smooth. I now am looking for similar strings but they all seem to have a small winding overflow such as in the first picture. I try to find a very smooth string as shown in the second picture where the winding is almost not visible. Does anyone have any tips for such strings? Also, is it okay to just buy 1 low E sting or better a whole set when changing them?

Attached Files:

2. What color of silk on the ones you have? If they're gold, then they're the DR Legend in the above photo.

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    wut the whut? Is the DR Legend just solid wire?

Root 5, magnaton, Novarocker and 5 others like this.
  4. If you look close enough there's a seam. Just a bit smoother than the others.

5. Wessel

Wessel

May 16, 2020
    Well it is black. But if it is comparable it may be a good option. I will look it up. Thanks

6. If the silk is black, the chances are they're La Bella 760FS (45-65-85-105), provided the silk is only at the tuner end. La Bella flats are also known for being "glassy smooth".

Root 5, quickfix, Frontporch and 7 others like this.
  7. Wessel

Wessel

May 16, 2020
    There is also silk on the other end. I think they can be pretty old strings. The bass is also an old one. Whats the opinion about the DR legend strings?

8. Wessel likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Funny how those DRs look so smooth. In my experience, they're the "deadest," in an unpleasant way, out of the box of all the flats I've played.

diegom, jmbjandfam and uwrossl like this.
  10. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Interesting thread. I had never really thought of how flat flats could be.
    Guess the GHS precision must be similar to the Chromes (smoothness-wise)?
    cf499233-fccf-4f9c-819b-7f3b5e1f3899_1.68d86e9b527ec58fd798309ccba94e72.jpg

nerkoids likes this.
  11. GHS Precision Flats have a nice "silky & satiny" feel to them, while the Chromes and the La Bellas can get a little sticky. Just my experience...

12. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Never tried the Chromes nor the La Bellas since the GHS give me the sound I want.
    I don't mind scratchy strings though : I love D'addario half-wounds.

Steve York likes this.
  13. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    my current fave, Labella Flexible Flats, are quite smooth, not TI smooth, but also not $75.

You may be able to find a single-E string, but if it were me, I'd replace the whole set. In fact, I do that on every new bass I receive, regardless of new or used (unless I get to say what strings go on a new bass). long before COVID, I was practicing strong industrial hygiene.

FFFH242 and Joe BassPlayer like this.
  14. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    Berlin
    Dunlop Flatwounds are super flat and smoOoth!

/\/\3phist0 and uwrossl like this.
  15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Shaker Heights, OH
    Pyramid e strings Look like the dr but are nickel. Wonderful glass smooth strings.

16. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    How did that E string snap? It wasn’t strung through the body was it?:rolleyes:

17. Wessel

Wessel

May 16, 2020
    Nope you're right. I'm using them on another bass but the E is just a tiny bit to short cut off for it. I though it saved me some explanation, but not :). The other one is my brother's and has some new strings (Thomasiks), I could get the old ones. Though, the new set are not as smooth and nice as the old ones, in my opinion.

18. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Interesting...
    I couldn't stand D'addario half wounds, tried them before making the jump to flats...
    Have never tried, yet, GHS, or Chromes, because after the half wounds got a set of LaBella 760FL's. Absolutely love them. Smooth and slick, sound like I need them to..
    Before I sold my D Lakin JO, had Sadowsky Blue Labels on it... not as slick as the Labellas, but still nice. And they made that bass growl like crazy..

But the GHS and TI's interest me, though

FantasticFour likes this.
  19. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    My experience with the half-wounds is that they're bad for three weeks approximately. I admit they are really bad. Bad as in "Did I give money for this? Really?"
    But after this initial period, they acquire a very nice feel, and a sweet vintage sound. And they last for months and months. I decided it wasn't such a bad deal. They're the ones I practice on every day.

GHS are always on my fretless, TIs always on my P. Looks like we're playing them all between the two of us ;)