1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Flat intonation on lower frets? (Harley Benton Violin style bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nexany, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Nexany

Nexany

Dec 1, 2012
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a Harley Benton Beatbass, which is a Höfner style violin bass.

I put brand new 50-100 Labella flats (760FHBB) on the bass and set it up.

Then i realised that the notes are flat on the E A D strings at the first 3 frets by 8-12 cents, the E string is the worst.

The intonation is OK at the 12 fret (even sharp a bit).
    The neck relief is .012 over the 8. fret, my action is 2.6-2.0 mm at the 17. fret.

I filed the nut slot to have a better break point to shorten the string (close to the end of the fingerboard as close as possible)

I also tried to compensate at the bridge and move it toward the headstock and so it became sharp at the 12. fret but on the first 3 frets it was still really flat.

Before that i had the opposite problem with other basses and guitars when the notes were sharp because of the high not, but in this case what's wrong??

Thank you in advance.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It's true, usually frets 1, 2, and 3 are a few cents sharp.

Looks like there is some discussion on the "I own a Harley Benton Club" thread.
    Must be a combination of relief, bridge intonation, and strings.

I own a Harley Benton club

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021