Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flat-like tone on a roundwound - help :(

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by beam, Jul 29, 2003.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I'm sure this question has been posed dozens of times before, so one more won't really matter :p

I really dig a warm, mellow tone on my bass(peavey t-40) but I don't want to go all out with flats. I've found a few alternatives on the web, and I am interested in your opinions, and or suggestions.

The two leading contenders are:

D'addario Slowounds - roundwounds that are supposed to have a flatish, mellow tone.

D'addario Halfrounds - roundwounds that have the surface ground to a smooth flat-like feel.

I welcome reviews of these two, and other suggestions.

Thanks

2. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I highly recommend the Slowounds... warm and fat as hell, and very comfortable to the touch too.

I've tried a lot of strings, and now the Slowounds are all i use... I've never tried the Halfrounds though, mostly because they're kinda hard to find.

3. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    ok thats one for the slowounds

others?

THanks for the review btw.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    The Slowounds are a great string. I like them a lot. BUT, you're question is about getting a flat sound out of rounds. Forget it... you can't. It's like saying you want to get an upright tone by getting a fretless electric or putting flats on an electric.You can't do that either.
    I'll concede you can move directionally toward more of a flat"ish" tone with nickel rounds if steel rounds are the original comparison but you will not get flat tone out of a round string.
    Hey, but that's me.

5. You could try another approach to get the flatwound thump:

* Put a piece of foam rubber under the strings near the bridge. Not too thick, just enough to dampen the sound a bit, like palm muting.

* Cut your treble.

* Pluck the strings close to or over the end of the fingerboard.

It's not quite the same as flatwounds (still get some string noise, but it's close and not permanent if you change your mind or want to go to a different sound mid-gig.

6. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    beam,

I use La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass roundwounds (medium) on my P bass for the exact same reasons you mention. I'm not quite a flatwound guy, but I do want a nice deep tone without too much sizzle.

Tom

7. bpresource

bpresource

Jul 11, 2003
    OHIO
    a couple options not yet mentioned..

1)SIT strings offers a powerflat string which is a round ground flat.

2)try installing a set of 60's fender jazz bass mutes. still available as an accesory.

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I now use DR's, but I loved my half-rounds. Half rounds are great strings with a lot of options. They have a fat flat tone, but can get a the highs of a round wound string as well. I love the way they feel too.

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    SMASH- Thanks for the clip. I must say it's pretty impressive. While I don't think me, or many other upright players, will be selling our URBs to buy one it is closer to upright than I have ever heard from a bass guitar. Doncha just love technology? Can the upright "pedal" be far behind?

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've been loving the sounds from the HWDB for a long time. I really want to get one of those one day for my fretless needs. It can go from standard electric fretless sound, to upright sound, and anywhere in between. Cool stuff!

If I ever went the super jazz route, it would be with Hotwire!

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What works for me -

> high output, STAINLESS STEEL roundwounds like DR's

> Bump up the lows and the mids while pushing down the high Hz's

> Neck pickup soloed

> Overdrive the Master Volume a bit with the channel volumes and/or the Gain.

> Velvet touch with the plucking fingers. Get some finger fat on `em.

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Only if they make a pedal that will hollow out the body and give it piezo pickup ;)