1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flat or round

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Paigon713, Mar 26, 2006.

1. I have been using round wound strings because of an instructional video i bought on funk. Now keep in mind that my band is not funk, nor do I truly play funk style...check out my music on www.contrastband.com or www.myspace.com/contrastband ... I'd say we are more like a grunge/metal band like alice in chains meets creed meets godsmack...something along that realm. I play with my fingers, no pick...any suggestions on what type of string will get me a great tone.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My best recommendation would be to try as many strings as possible. Don't listen to the flats-are-only-good-for-classic-rock bag, use what you like. On the other hand, don't listen to the dudes that will tell you that you need rounds for a 'modern' tone. Personally, I don't dig the rounds w/soapbar combo, but that's my opinion.

3. OK, I'm a newish bassist but I love my new strings and I just want to gush.

I'm playing in a metal/prog rock band, so we're not a million miles apart. I've just started stringing up with fender pure nickle rounds. The name is a bit of a lie: the first wrap is steel with a nickle outer wind.

The first thing I noticed was that they have no finger noise, and only a little with a pick (though I notice you don't use one). More than that, I've suddenly got a lot more range in sound. With my usual setup (treble set high, pushing the mids and lows set flat) I can get whatever I want. Turning the tone up (I play an Ibanez copy of a p bass) I can get a full on steel string sound, and just below half tone I have a really mellow, 70s rock type vibe.

Canopener is right, try as many stings as it takes to find ones you like. But if you've got £20 and you need to restring I would suggest the Fender 7130 (that's the 4 string) pure nickle wound.

And honestly, I don't work for fender, I just love 'em.

Good luck.

4. lowfreq1

lowfreq1

Mar 26, 2006
    Stockholm Sweden
    It's a matter of taste, of course. In my opinion nothing beats round wound stainless steel strings in clarity and growl.
    Rotosound Swing Bass 66, D'Addario Pro Steels, SIT Power Steel...