1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flat preferences?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by blackreverend, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Hey All,
    Looking for a set of flats to put on a Lakland 55-94; for those that have this bass, what flats do you use like and why?

Blackreverend

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I prefer the D'addario's. They are great strings with a good tension and feel.

They, IMO, have a good response over the whole spectrum. Good thump.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have had great results with Labella Flats, Fender Flats and my favorites..Sadowsky Flat wound strings ..also made by LaBella..

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Depends... What are you looking for in a flat?

I like chromes for rock. Bright with good sustain but still with some thump.

I really like the sound of the Rotosound 88 tapewounds. Dark, heavy thump. Very little sustain. Might not cut through well in a band situation. But probably as close to a DB sound as you are going to get on a BG.

LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass for everything else.

If you want to save money, Fender flats give a good vintage sound but are very high tension.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Mmmm....Chrooooommmmessss!!!

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I highly recommend you atleast try Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats. They are very unique among flats. Low tension with a very smooth midrange.

I had Chromes on my bass for about 6 months before I made the switch to the TI's. I practice atleast 30 minutes a day and the higher strings never died down and the set started sounding unbalanced. The tension was also irritating the crap out of my trigger finger. Then I made the switch to TI's and everything was OK.