Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flat preferences?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by blackreverend, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Hey All,
    Looking for a set of flats to put on a Lakland 55-94; for those that have this bass, what flats do you use like and why?

Blackreverend

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I prefer the D'addario's. They are great strings with a good tension and feel.

They, IMO, have a good response over the whole spectrum. Good thump.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have had great results with Labella Flats, Fender Flats and my favorites..Sadowsky Flat wound strings ..also made by LaBella..

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Depends... What are you looking for in a flat?

I like chromes for rock. Bright with good sustain but still with some thump.

I really like the sound of the Rotosound 88 tapewounds. Dark, heavy thump. Very little sustain. Might not cut through well in a band situation. But probably as close to a DB sound as you are going to get on a BG.

LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass for everything else.

If you want to save money, Fender flats give a good vintage sound but are very high tension.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Mmmm....Chrooooommmmessss!!!

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I highly recommend you atleast try Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats. They are very unique among flats. Low tension with a very smooth midrange.

I had Chromes on my bass for about 6 months before I made the switch to the TI's. I practice atleast 30 minutes a day and the higher strings never died down and the set started sounding unbalanced. The tension was also irritating the crap out of my trigger finger. Then I made the switch to TI's and everything was OK.