1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flat radius fingerboards- who loves em????

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Who loves their flat radius fingerboards and what can you tell me about them? feel, looks, action e.t.c:confused:

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I like flat boards.
    There's not much to tell. Mechanically, they make it easier to have an even action, which may or may not be of your liking. There is no difference in looks, at least not from any view except the players.
    Feel...well, there is a slight difference from a Fender sharp 7" radius... Compared to a 12" or more, I don't feel a difference. If you are used to 10" or less, you may need a week to get used to the new way of finding the right string - i.e. if you locate the strings visually, if not there's no problem.

3. if you play acoustic, pick up a classical guitar, it's alot the same (except classicals tend to be wider and have a higher action aswell). some people really do prefer playing them, there's not too much difference IMO, unless you're trying to bow your bass. :smug:

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    as far as i know, standup basses have flat fretboards. the bridge curvature is what makes probably makes it feel like its curved and thats why u can use a bow.

i like and make flat radiused fretboards (probably coz they are easier). i played steep radius fretboards (4stringers), larger radius fretboards (5stringers) and almost flat fretboards (5stringer MTD). i think the MTD the easiest to play (thats the only reason its still unsold).

its a matter of taste really :)

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Woah there, back up.
    Uprights certainly do not have flat fretboards.
    Mine's a few states away at the moment or I'd take some pics and show you.

:bassist:

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Double basses usually have a fingerboard radius of about 3" (3.1"???) IIRC.

7. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    agreed the radius on my DB fretboard is FAAAAAAR from flat. But for an electric bass, i dont really have a preference, a fender with a 7 1/4 feels just as good as a 12" radius. I dont think i have ever played a bass with no radius, but i have played classical guitars with no radius and dont mind the feel of them. Dont know how well that transfers to bass terms though.

8. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    eeek! my bad. you are correct

9. me likes flat fretboards. But this is mostly personal preference and habits..

With a smaller radius(i.e. my Fender Aerodyne) you can not set the pickup height evenly for all strings on bridge(J). You have to compromise from low action of outer strings(E and especially G).. I find flatter radius easier for tapping too.