Flat setting for Demeter 201s preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabbass, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Hi to everybody,
    Francesco from Italy...
    I'm an owner of Demeter vtbp 201s preamp and I'd like to know how I must set the controls of the preamp to have a flat sound...can you help me?
    Thank you.
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    This is what I was told, but I don't remember the source:

All tone buttons in the "out" position (even with the tone knobs set flat, these buttons will change the sound).
    All tone knobs at 12:00 o'clock except the "presence" knob which is boost only and flat is fully counter-clockwise.

I find that in live situations the tone cuts through better with the "normal/bright" and "presence" buttons in, usually with some midrange and presence boost. But YMMV.

There are much smoother and more musical sounding tubes available than the stock tubes as well.
  3. LoFreq is on the money as with my experience. The only difference is now I have a Crest CA9 for power and no longer need to press in the presence or bright buttons to cut through. This is another subject totally but I feel it is relevent. My previous amp lacked the dynamic headroom the CA9 now provides me.
  4. Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    yes, I also think that it is flat with all tone knobs at 12:00, the presence knob all on the left and all the buttons out...I heard the natural sound of my Fbass setting the preamp in this way...but I wanted to be sure of it.
    At this moment I have a Behringer EP2500 power amp, but I think to buy a QSC PLX 2402; it's lighter and so I will not break my back!
    I think Demeter plus QSC is a very good combination...

Thanks for the answer...