1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flat Slap

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gazman_res, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Does anyone slap on Flatwounds?

I know that rounds seem the way to go, but i was just curious who does it and if you have some clips of it.

FYI, ive never used flats on any of my basses.. but i wanna grab a Skyline JO5 and throw flats on there coz i kinda need that sound at the moment.

thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Slapping on flatwounds kinda works. It sounds different than fingerstyle, but sounds a lot different than roundwounds. Its basically what you'd think it sounds like.

3. I'll bet this will change your mind...Treena playing a Sadowsky V5 with TI flats as mentioned below: It is a killer tone!! Here is her post....

Quote:
    Every time I slide or move from fret to fret I get this nasty squeaking noise. If that weren't bad enough I keep getting a lot of that wonderful "clicking" noise when I'm playing.

StingrayKid21, you might considering using Flat wound strings. A lot of Pro players use Flats when recording, it's not a must but it will help until your technique improves.

Check out this song Dream Within A Dream I used TI's on my Sadowsky Vintage 5, if you like the tone, I can suggest a few things to help you get it.

Treena

Click here for the song link and then choose "Dream Within a Dream" from the list....ENJOY!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/treenamusic.htm

4. Are those flats?! :eyebrow:

She says in the quote that theyre TI's, but dont TI's make grounds?

It sounded a bit bright to be flats?

Well whatever they were.. it did sound really awesome i gotta admit!

5. Yeah she said they were TI Flats....I thought the same thing when I heard it....

T