1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flat Slapping?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jun 4, 2014.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Has anyone ever "Slapped" using Flats? I know, That's a REALLY ridiculous question, but that's the reason I would never use flats. They feel great and sound deep & warm; but one could never Slap with Flats... Right?

2. I'm curious as well.
    When I "slap" (or my sorry excuse for slapping) I use a Hofner with TI flats and a foam mute in. Clearly not in my usual sound repertoire or style.

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    PRETTY sure this one has been covered before lol

Just like with art, there is no inherit "wrong" way to do it, some things are more suited to a purpose than others (or it's what we're use to hearing), but to answer your questions "Yes, you can slap on flats". I do it with my Chromes ALLLLL THE TIME :)

madjazzbass likes this.
  4. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Yeah ,why on earth wouldn't I slap using flats? I've got flats on every bass I own, and I slap on them all when the song calls for it. Granted, I may have to turn the tone knob up a bit to give a little bit of treble to the mix, but it works fine.

rujulian likes this.
  5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Yes, you can slap them, but you don't get the modern tone one normally associates with this technique. Check out Sly Stone's "Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again" for an example of what to expect.

6. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    REALLY?! I never thought that would sound right.

7. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I know the song. Really?!! He's using Flats on that? Never knew, Thanks.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Well, I won't swear to it. But when I slap my P-bass (strung with Labella flats) I get a very similar tone. Also, I'm not sure when roundwounds hit the market, but they may not have even been available at the time of that recording. I could be wrong about that though. I bet there's some info hiding somewhere in the recesses of TB if you look hard enough.

madjazzbass likes this.
  9. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I was always under the "assumption" that you (the player) wouldn't get a good "snappy" sound from flats but rather a dull sort of thud type sound.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I'll gladly slap anybody using flats ...

:):D:laugh:;):thumbsup::roflmao::cool::smug::woot::bassist::hyper:

Sure you can slap flats ... why not?

madjazzbass likes this.
  11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Depends on the flats, your EQ, technique, and all the other variables...but you can get some "good" slap tones out of brighter flats. Keep in mind you have to do this one the right kind of bass too, something scooped is ideal for this application.

madjazzbass likes this.
  12. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Yes...

13. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Very true. My Jazz gets a more traditional slap tone with flats, while my P bass has more of a punch when thumping. Same EQ settings for both basses. Again, it all comes back to what the song calls for and the way the respective basses sit in the mix.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  14. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Larry Graham used black tape wounds on that track according to Bobby Vega. I recently put tapes on a Jazz bass and yes that's the sound.

15. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I'm pretty sure The Commodores "Brick House" was flats on a P-Bass.

Precision101 and madjazzbass like this.
  16. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Not ridiculous, pretty enjoyable actually. I recommend LaBella's low tension/light gauge flats. Throw them on a Sadwosky J with an ash body and have yourself a great time (or many things, I might imagine). Trick is to get "slappable" flats, yes, "all flats are slappable/it's in the player" and other TB yadda aside - but if you want some flat wounds that slap with the ease of round wounds - these in extra lights do the trick http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Deep-Talkin-Flat-Wound--4-String-Set_p_219.html

Whatever you go with, i'm sure it will be a pretty legit sound. I remember the first time I popped a note on my J with flats I had a - "so this is how you slap and hold down a groove without pissing off band members" moment.

17. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Also agree with the importance of eq, preferable something scooped, post above.

18. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Really, I never knew that. Actually, I never even knew that line was slapped, Haaaaaaaa!!

19. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    Al Green's records had some flat slapping. I actually enjoy the sound.

20. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I have a bunch of Al Green records; Which ones inparticular have slapping using Flat wounds? I wanna go back and listen to them.