Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flat/transparent/uncoloured bass cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Jul 25, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Who makes monitor style bass cabinets? Accugroove and EA come to mind, but who else? Bag End? Yorkville? Schroeder?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You've got most of it already. I typically think of ACME/Accugroove/EA first when asked about flat/transparent/uncolored bass cabs, though of course each has their own take on this. But I also feel obligued to mention Bergantino, which are very close to being flat, but which seem to add a bit of their own mojo/vibe (which I generally find to be a positive thing). Don Oats from Low Down Sound builds a wide variety of cabs, but his long-throw 8" equipped cabs seem to be the most flat/accurate. They work really well for double bass, too (as do most cabs of this type).

Tom.

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    There's one missing! this is a new purchase for me, and I will be posting a proper thread soon, but you'd be daft to overlook
    www.techsoundsystems.de

I have just bought one of their incredible cabinets! ;o)

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have only played the Midget 1x10, but Hevos also seems to be fairly flat/accurate, IMHO.

Tom.

5. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Eden 210 MBX

6. If you have access to them before you buy, bring in a portable CD player with program material you know very well.

Play the CD through the cab, and the coloration will become hugely apparent. What it does to the CD is also what it does to the sound of your bass.

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i have an EA 12 and its very transparent , i like it for the upright more than elec.

i have a bergantino 210 with the cool mojo for electric as mentioned above.

i wish i had a schroeder 1210 or two.

8. Almost any amp you could think of will have less colouration than even the best speaker, unless the amp was specifically designed for signal colouration. Even so-called flat, uncoloured speakers provide a considerable amount of colour to the input signal.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    No disrespect to the man at all, but Schroeder's arn't neceserally uncoloured cabs from what i've read. My 410 is certainly coloured. Not that it's a BAD colouring, it's very good in fact :bassist:

I find Acme's quite good in that respect.

10. +1 and +1

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think Avatar cabs are pretty uncoloured. More so than anything else I've tried.

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Not even CLOSE to Flat my friend.

13. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    How do you really know when it's uncolored? What do you compare to? Is there an objective uncolored bass cab somewhere out there to which all others can be compared? I don't think it's really appropriate to say whether one cab is more or less colored than another. More like they're just different.

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    +1
    Eden's are about as flat as P.A. and A.N.S. put together, IMO.
    My vote is EA.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Not true at all. Just about every speaker and cabinet manufacturer strives for a certain sound. For instance, the Eden XLT cabs have a prominant low mid bump from about 200hz - 400hz while the Eden XT cabs do not have that bump.

Speakers and cabinets are made to generate a certain tone that someone is looking for. That is why cabinets all sound different.

Now as far as flat cabs go certain manufacturers have decided that they want a studio flat bass cabinet. I personally am moving away from Eden to something as flat as possible.

How to compare? Well, it is all in the ears. I know what my bass sounds like flat through a console and through very expensive studios monitors that are made to be flat. I can hear whether that flat response is there or not.

For instance, I have tried the EA's in a friends studio A/B'ing my direct signal to the board and then through the cab. The EA's are very flat. I am trying Accugroove next and matbe Acme and Bergantino. However, I am hearing that the Berg's are slightly colored. Not that it is a bad thing.

It's all about what YOU want. Saying a cab is coloured isn;t an insult or a dig. I have used Eden exclusively for the past 4 years or so. Played everywhere imaginable with them from small gigs to large venues. And they were great.

Now I am switching my approach to tone and amplification. See this thread for more about that.

Neither approach are bad it all has to do with what YOU want and what YOU want to hear. I want my next rig to be flat so I CAN DECIDE where are want to bump or cut. If I want a low mid bump for certain songs and something different for others I CAN choose to do that via EQ.

Another example, my Sadowsky PJ5 sounds like ass through my Eden cabs because the PJ5 has a lot of low mid presence and mixed with a cabinet that also has a big low mid bump it sounds bad. Now in the studio, direct the PJ5 sits in the mix perfectly. I want to be able to reporduce EXACTLY what I am getting in the studio or exactly what I am dialing in on my new rig without any external influences.

I hope that explains it, at least from my point of view.

16. A big +1 and well put. I've actually moved the other way over the years... I played Acme's and EA's with relatively 'accurate' heads like the Walter Woods and EA iAmp800 for a long time. Now, I've moved to cabs that have more 'color' in the direction that I like (at this point, the EpiUL line and the Schroeder cab). It's all personal taste... I find that if you can find a cab/amp/bass that you really like the sound of without a lot of EQing... you are better off. If the 'flat' cabs sound good to you with relatively minor EQ, then cool! However, if you find yourself really having to EQ a particular rig lot to get 'your sound'.. there's probably an easier, more natural sounding way to do it (i.e., by finding a cab/rig with that sound somewhat 'built in').

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, like BigMikeW said, flatter isn't always better for everybody.
    While I am no Audiofile, I have an inexpensive reference system in my living(practice)room. I often plug directly into a powered reference monitor(they except XLR and 1/4" inputs)when I practice so I have a pretty good idea of what "flat" is. My VL208 sounds exactly the same, just alot louder.
    On a side note-When I use my VL208 along with a S15d the extra mids I get allows me to run my EQ almost completely flat!! The slightly boosted mid response gets me closer to the sound I am looking for.
    IMO, the cabs that get closest to your desired tone with the least EQ are going to be the winners, not always the flattest.
    EDIT-Kjung beat me to it.......typist!!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    LMOA!!! I've never seen that word used as a derogatory term, or insult, before! Hilarious! But true?!?? :p