Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flat vs Nylon for fretless 5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by booeyschewy, Feb 4, 2004.

1. booeyschewy

booeyschewy

Feb 4, 2004
    Hi, I am new here and re-new to bass. I played a little fretted when I was young. Now I am picking up fretless bass and need new strings (the rounds sound lame and are tearing up the fretboard).

So I want to know whether to get nylons or flatwound steel strings. The sound I enjoy is lost of low end, punchy, acoustic sound ala upright/cello. I like dub bass and upright bass sounds. I have a feeling that labella nylons are the ones for me, but is there any reason to get steel strings? I like playing with excessive vibrato ala carnatic indian music and imagine nylons might be better for this as well, esp. on my fingers.

thanks, t

ps I want a low B string for my 5 string, rather than a high whatever that would be.

2. No, I can't think of any real reason to get traditional flatwounds, especially to get the sound that you described. The La Bella tapewounds are great strings, and you'll probobly be very happy with them. WARNING!: My advice is to stay clear of the Rotosound Tru Bass strings.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I mainly use roundwounds and can get any tone I want. But that's me;)

I also have a Stambaugh fretless 5 strung with LaBella tapewounds and they sound gorgeous and feel great. Highly recommended. You can get them cheap at Carvin.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I will second the LaBella tapewounds...smooth playability and awesome sound!!!

They are roundwound strings...but with the tape winding, they feel more like flats...yet they are not dull or dead sounding like flats. A very full tone.

I don't currently play fretless (though I have played fretless in the past and may get another one)...but I can't imagine that they wouldn't sound even better on a fretless.