1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flat wound for Dano Longhorn

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 12, 2006.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am thinking about installing a set of flat wound strings on my Danelectro Longhorn. First time for to choose flat wound strings for a short scale bass like the Dano. What can you suggest?
    I really like D'addario Chromes on my P basses. Also like LaBella flats.

Being the Dano short scale what is your suggestion?

2. I'm dredging up this thread because I'm considering the same thing. I have a Danelectro Dead-On '58 Longhorn strung with D'Addario half-rounds (my go-to string). I love the rattly sound of this setup, but wanted to see if full flatwounds might deepen the bottom end a bit.

I'm thinking of putting on a set D'Addario Chromes (ECB81S Set Short Scale 45-100) to see what happens. Anyone else tried this?

FYI - I also replaced the stock bridge for one with adjustable saddles from DanGuitars.

3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I would suggest a set made specifically for Danelectros. There are lots of stories out there about trouble people have stringing these very special basses.

The La Bella 760FD set is specifically for Danos.

4. narwhale

narwhale Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Apex, NC
    Here's a bit of a shootout I posted in another thread. The Chromes are great for me, but I didn't want any floppiness so ymmv.

Chromes: My favorite. The tension is perfect, and like Jimmy said the mids really help keep things from getting too scooped. I'm not after an aggressive sound, but they balance each other out well.
    Rotosound 77: Put them on and quickly realized I couldn't live with the tension. The E string was .090 which was way too floppy to me. Didn't even try them plugged in.
    Rotosound 88: They're big which helps with the lower tension of tapewounds. I didn't need to adjust the nut to accommodate either. If I had more basses these would end up on one of them, but they're just not versatile enough to use as a main bass for what I play. High on the neck you lose a lot of definition, which seems to be a problem with the Dano anyway (maybe short scales in general) so when I would play a D on the E string for example it would sound more like kind of a D with some other stuff mixed in.
    GHS Precisions: My second favorite. Tension is comparable to Chromes, maybe a bit lower. Smoother than Chromes in sound and feel. If you want something really dead then you should like these, but I went back to the Chromes for more bite.

5. I saw the LaBella strings, but 0.79 on the E is a little too light-gauge for me.

I also like TI flats - have them on my Hofner and Casady - but wanted to try something different (and with a little more tension).

This sounds like the tone I'm after - still a little rattly/growly like a Dano should, but some more BASS.

Thanks for the tips - I'll see if I can post an A/B when I get it all worked out.

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I too like Chromes on a Dano, just a little twangy compared to LaBellas but nice even string to string volume. It's important to get the short scale set to avoid issues w/those itty-bitty tuner heads. I've had bad luck trying to use the full section of a round wound string in them.

7. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Cool, I've been thinkin' about this too. I like Chromes.

8. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    yes, have em on the exact same bass. changed the strings the first day I got the Bass and never looked back. like the tension and the sound very much.

9. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Earth
    I've got Chromes on my blueburst Dano for about 7 months. Give them about 2-3 months to settle and let them loose a bit of their brightness. After that it's thumping time ! The sound fits perfectly in my 11-piece RnB band.

10. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    OK, short scale Chromes on the way!:bassist: