1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flat Wound, Tape or Coated?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TNCreature, Dec 9, 2018.

1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I have a bass that just sounds better with flat wound strings. This is based on the strings that were on the bass when I bought it (An NS Design Wav Bass). Out of routine I swapped the strings to RW's and the round wound were way too bright for this particular instrument.
    I typically use DR Hi-Beams RW on my basses.
    I am looking for strings that are flexible and fun to play.
    I have only played one set of unknown flats that were super stiff, and years ago I had black tape wounds on a bass that were meh. I have never played a coated string.
    I would appreciate any recommendations, and let me know if I can provide any more info.

2. Sounds like you need to try La Bella Tapes. Available in several flavors (Gold, White Nylon, Black Nylon, Copper). They really are great strings.

I’m a big fan of Tapes in general. I’ve got D’Addario Tapes on my acoustic Ibanez and I’ll be putting La Bella White Nylons on my Squier VM Fretless Jazz in the near future.

Lots of fun, versatile and easy to play.

TNCreature likes this.