Flat Wounds for a 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by buzzbass, Sep 15, 2003.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Anyone know where I can get a set of flat wounds for a couple of my basses. I'd like to convert one of my Fenders, my Lakland, and my Streamer bolt-on. I need the ones for the Warwick to be taper core, so it will intonate properly. The strings on the Fender and Lakland will be run through the body, so they'll need to be long. Anyone have any suggestions, I'm going to try and get some of these modern basses to make more of an old school Motown thump.
  2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Good idea!!! I thought about doing that to a zon. So far here is my experience

La Bella deep talkin flats--Nice feel, decent mids, nice old school vibe with some punch.

Dean markly-- Great if you want a dead thump that is almost like an upright sound. Great for the bell like bass lines in latin for instance.

Rotosound 77s-- Very bright then they die with good mids. Steve harris used them for years and they cut through the mix the best IMO.

Fender and Ernie balls--- they both have the vintage thump covered and can die rather quickly which of course depends on what sound you want.

I suggest dressing each with a different set for each basses personality. As far as B's go I don't know I 've just made the switch to a 5 so these reviews are all based on 4 string experience. BTW try the string forum.....
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm running La Bella deep talkin flats on my Dean Edge 5 fretless and I really like them. They have an extra long scale that could probably handle your string-through-body bass, that's what I need for the 35" scale Dean. I don't know about taper core flats.
  4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    What guages are you using on that Dean & did the neck start to bow a little due to the extra tension of the flats ?
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm using Status flats on my 6 string. I find that they're quite stiff - I have to turn up the amp and play lightly, but that then lets me play without fatigue and gives a good tone across all the strings (the low B in particular doesn't sound so good if plucked hard).

I'm not sure if I'd go with the Status flats again (a set of Thomastik flats is what appeals most) but I got a 2 for 1 deal when I bought them.

Of course, by the time the strings are due for a change in ten or fifteen years, who knows what will be on the market ;) ...