1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flat Wounds for G&L SB1

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joseph Draxx, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Hi Guys,

I have finally left my drop C and drop C# days behind and can start looking for different qualities in strings rather then just high tension.

I'm really keen to try out some flats, problem is I don't think any basses in my current quiver are 100% suited. G&L SB1 and L2000 and Fender Usa Deluxe P. 2 Actives and a very aggresive passive (louder then both the actives).

The SB1 is the main contender for flats at the moment, has anyone tried this before and if so how did it work.

Any advice guys?

2. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Shuswap
    I had TI Flats on my SB1 and absolutely loved the sound...

3. A lot of G&L users like the TI Jazz Flats.

4. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    I have Roto LD77 flats on my MIA P Dlx 4. Great sound & feel.

5. Thanks guys, I might give it a go.

I never really thought my SB1 sounded very much like a traditional P, as its really gain. The guy that works on my basses actually commented that the output was just about the highest he had ever come across. Lowering the pickups slightly had improved this a but its still LOUD.

By TI Flats to you mean Thomastik Flats?
    http://www.basscentre.com.au/ProductDetails/23/Thomastik-Jazz-Flats

6. Mine was $55AU, not $US :) The link you gave me blows out to $81.03US with shipping.

Thanks though!

Gonna Try these next month and might wack a set of roto's on the American Deluxe

7. Just a quick follow up.

I am 100% sold on these strings.

They took some adjusting too playing style wise but the sound coming out of this bass is pretty amazing.

This bass is out of danger for now, but in the back of my mind I'm still thinking of trading it in for a Hwy 1.

8. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Don't do it!!! The Hwy 1 is a fine bass, but IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to the SB-1.

The guy who used to own my SB-1 put an ad on craigslist here to try to track it down, he missed it so bad. I contacted him just to let him know it was still around, but told him I wasn't ready to let it go. It's been strung with TI flats for over a year.

9. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    G&Ls really like TIs if you can stand the tension. And a good SB-1 will blow away a Highway 1. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd end up modding the crap out of the Highway 1 thinking it just does not sound right after the SB-1.

10. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1

I have them on my G&L L2000 Tribute and I love them. Beware though, they are very low tension which does not suit everyone.

11. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I thought the TI's were low tension until I bought some Status Graphite Tapewounds :eek:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021