Flat wounds vs Tapewound sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by superfly, Apr 21, 2005.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    What will be the difference in sound,feel,etc between a set of flat wounds or tape wounds on my Mustang bass? Which string will get me a warmer,rounder, upright like vintage sound playing fingerstyle? I know its not an upright, but which string will get me closer to that sound?
  2. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Tapewounds are actually roundwounds with a thin layer of flat tape as the outermost winding. They sound pretty much like roundwounds - bright.

Flatwounds might be more like what you're after.
  3. AllbeeHivez

Sep 22, 2012
    Flatwounds will have more tension than tapewounds (depending on what brand you use), but they sound better on the Mustang Bass. The Mustang is designed to have a dark sound and in my humble opinion, using roundwounds or tapewounds messes up the sound and it has a weird and undesireable sound unless you add effects to it. Flatwounds sound better on it if you plan to play it with a natural sound (one without effects)
  4. In my experience, tapes tend to be bright and fairly scooped in the mids (sort of like rounds without the clanky attack) with low tension for the most part.

flats tend to have higher tension and a stiffer feel and are all about that "warmer, rounder, upright like vintage sound" you describe, with fat, juicy low-mids.

A short scale with flats will definitely give you a massive old-school vibe.