Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flat wounds with BITE

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brock29609, Apr 9, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I love the way flats sound on my new Music Man, but I'm missing the bite that I like in a string. I'm using Chromes now. Good tone, just need more of that bite. I'm gussing I need a steel flat, no? Any recommendations? Ground wounds may be an option too, but NOT rounds.

Please don't bother to comment on the following because I've already tried them and formed an opinion...

TI Flats
    Chromes
    GHS Precision Flats
    GHS Pressurewounds

2. Try the Rotosound Steve Harris signature strings.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    D'addario Half Rounds have a semi-flat feel with more bite and "bark" than flats. They're also fairly high tension and play like flats under the right hand. I use them on one of my '64 P basses and it's a good match. They last a while, too. Some players don't like the surfaces, however. You'll have to decide whether you do. They are certainly rougher than flats but they don't feel like rounds, either.

4. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I like my Labella flats a lot. It's worth a try. :)

5. Dean Markley Ground Round Wound, I have a slightly used set if you are interested. I no longer have a Stingray so the G-string won't work on my Fender Precision.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    How would you compare the TI flats and the chromes?

7. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The TI's are like no other string. A class of their own. Amazing properties for a flat wound, but the tone just isn't for me. Good tone, but not the tone I'm trying to achieve. The low tension on the TI's definitely isn't for everyone. I prefer the Chromes. They're more like every other flatwound, but a little livelier.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    brock29609, thanks for the comparison.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I play TI but for a littel more snap give d'addario or labella, their round wounds have alot of snap.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I second the roto-flats.
    The brightest flats I have ever played.
    And I think I've played them all.