Flatback SVT Cab Dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by derekeugene, Mar 6, 2018.

1. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    Ok, first world problem here.

I'm always cruising GC's used page for good deals on cabs and came across an 8x10 for $299. Their shipping ($22, lol) and tax brought it to $350, so I snagged it. It only had one photo from the front showing a silver grill cloth, so I assumed it was an AV. Turns out, it's a flatback SVT cab. I haven't had a chance to pull a speaker to date it, but it's in decent shape. Has a new input jack drilled into the back, but all the speakers seem to work, at least in the store.

I love old Ampeg stuff. I play an early V4 through a later 70s SVT cab with the towel bar. I can definitely dig the vibe of this cab, but I haven't had a chance to A/B it with my regular cab. I've used tilt-back 810s for so long, I feel like I could go through a Survivor challenge with one and be fine, but hauling one around without a tilt-back seems kind of insane.

I do have an old VT-22 that has the little cart attached to the bottom, I wonder if these are interchangeable? Still seems like a beast.

Anyone have any experience hauling a flatback around or the sound of it compared to a later 70s tilt-back?

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Very good deal on the cab. The tone of the flatback is absolutely wonderful. Better than any other 810 save for the Heritage 810E.

The flatback came with a dolly, it has two attachment bolts. Any hand cart will do. The cab is a bit smaller than a regular 810 so that helps.

The flatback is rated 240W RMS which is lower than that of the 810E's. People do use them with a 300W SVT but I'd be careful with how hard you push an old cab. The VT-22 and this cab make a great combination.

derekeugene likes this.
  3. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I'm anxious to try it with my V4. That's the highest power amp I have, and all I've needed really.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021