Flats A standard

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by neebs, Apr 29, 2012.

1. neebs

neebs

Oct 25, 2011
    Manteca, California
    Have any of you used flats tuned up to A standard?

Kinda weird I know, but at my church we have two bass players at the same time. So for the better of the church I pulled my low e and added a high c.

So far its worked very well but I wanted to have a more useable instrument when she is not there. So I ordered some .40-.100 chromes and a single .032. Haven't broken in yet, but should be a week or two before that piano like sound goes away. I'm pretty curious to hear what this high c string sounds as a flat.

Oh and I have used the search function, haven't found anything on flats tuned up.. only down.

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I imagine it would sound very good. I love playing in higher registers on my flats, it sounds clear and full.

3. neebs

neebs

Oct 25, 2011
    Manteca, California
    I'm assuming e-g ? I had some fender flats before, they were alright. They sounded better in the higher registers. More defined I guess?

4. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Yeah I currently use heavy gauge (old) Fender flats tuned to E standard. I love how they sound deep yet clear because of the increased harmonic presence caused by the high tension. I play past the 12th fret a lot, as I do a lot of chording and layering when I don't have a guitar player. I play straight into the board 99% of the time, and they're a perfect match for my main bass.