1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats and a Foam Mute on a P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Anybody doing this? I'm looking to try this on my Squier Jag (when it arrives) and I'm wondering what your experiences have been - good, bad and ugly

2. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
  3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Bob Babbit just used a simple sponge under his strings near the bridge - he seemed to get a pretty good "Motown" sound...

4. Cool mute...is that an entire bridge or something you add to an existing bridge? And what kind of bass is that in the picture?

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    He also endorses the Bassmute.

I use weatherstripping, as above, under the cover on my Ps, and a foam sponge under the strings on my Js when I want that sound. It is a beautiful sound, too, and you can't get it with palm or left hand muting, not exactly.

6. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    It is a device that mounts above your current bridge. The picture is of my Fender Jaguar with the BassMute and a Hipshot bridge.

The BassMute has 4 settings -

OFF

ON : Light touch that cleans up ringing - sustain is about 12 seconds

Medium ON : Starts to bring in the thump - sustain is about 6 seconds

Full ON : Motown - sustain is about 3 seconds

I use them all.

http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html

You can see my bass on page 7 of the "Pics of your heavy modded bass!!!" thread.

7. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I have one I made out of plain weather stripping foam, with a one of the denser sticky back strips on top. It looks kind of like the picture below, though the dimensions vary. I just stuff it up the bridge. Not that I use it all the time, but it's in my case.

Attached Files:

8. Sorry to go off topic, but where did you get that control plate?

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Can't comment on the mute, but I put a set of Roto 77 on my P/J, sounds killer.

10. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    It is the original Fender plate and I used my milling machine to decorate it with engine turning. I did all the control plates. It looks cool and helps hide fingerprints.

IMAG0079.jpg

DSCN0940.jpg

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021