Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats and contemporary gospel.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Sep 15, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm curious.......are there any contemporary jazz/gospel 5 stringers out there that use flat wounds? What's your string of choice?

Thanks in advance, H2

2. Nkisi_Nkondi

Nkisi_Nkondi

Aug 22, 2005
    i'm going to be switching to flats, going to try La Bella's deep talking 5's

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Chromes on the SR5. The same set for the past year.

4. I would like to have a bass set up w/flats but I hesitate to throw them on my main church ax(Jazz 5), as I really like the sound of the Dean Markley Cold Steels. I'm getting a 51 RI P-bass, which I plan on putting flats. I'll miss the B- we do a pretty broad range of styles, nearly always w/LOTS of instrumentation. There's a lot of room down low, underneath the keys & guitars, & I rarely use a 4. I dig the old-school(I hate that overused cliche, BTW)thumpy tone.

5. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    If you don't slap much, I'll think you'll find that flats sit nicely in a dense mix. The Chromes have enough mid presence to cut through and sound funky but I think the simpler nature of the flatwound sound helps it stand out without necessarily being loud. I think if I was going for maximum thump, I might back off on my main bass, but with the TI's or the Chromes, I'd say let 'er rip. The thump can be increased with a mid cut.

6. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Thanks for the input guys! Hey Joe, I agree with you...I had the Chromes on my Fender RB5, and they sounded great; nice cut thru the house mix, lots of clarity and with the bridge p-up on, they had a nice warm growl to them. I just didn't dig the tension....kind of made my finger tips ache. I had used the ECB81-5SL's (45,65,80,100,132) I found out thru the specs posted on "Just Strings" that the soft wound Chromes are approx 7-8#'s lighter in tension (much closer to TI's specs).....................I was thinking of getting the soft set and along with the .132 B string, but for nearly the same price, I could get a set of TI's.

7. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I play in a baptist church and flats on my L-2500 G&L tribute work just fine