1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flats and fret buzz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by black57, Sep 7, 2008.

1. black57

black57

Jul 12, 2008
    Will flats help reduce fret buzz compared to roundwounds?

2. No. A good setup will, though.

String squeaking, on the other hand...

3. mario222

mario222

Dec 12, 2007
    You can get the the action with flats alot lower than with rounds without fret buzz on the higher registers.

4. You may already know this; but you should be placing your fretting finger as close to the fret as possible and practice that. When you're up against the fret there is less chance on you getting rattling from when the fretted string is sitting on two frets with your finger in the middle.
    But I'm sure you know this.

5. Sort of -- if your frets are level, flats can practically lay on the frets without buzzing. But if your frets are uneven, you either need to have them leveled or raise your action higher to reduce fret buzz.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    You can get lower setups with heavier gauge strings which flats sometimes are. On the other hand, the TI flats on my 61 Jazz are pretty high above the board. I have both high relief and high saddles. My P bass with 760FLs also required a bit of action raising particularly on the 60 D string.

7. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yep, assuming that the heavier gauges are under more tension than the lighter gauges. A string under more tension will have a smaller vibrational pattern and thus won't be as prone to fret buzz.

In some cases flatwounds might help you get a lower action without buzz, but a setup will generally help more with fretbuzz than a string change.

lowendrachel likes this.
  8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    IME, lower tension strings must sit higher if you want them to be buzz free even with a good setup. You will not get the same buzz free low action with a 40-95 set as you can with a 45-105 set unless you play really really softly.

9. davecanady

davecanady Guest

Aug 24, 2008
    Has anyone had an issue of string buzz because of the "0" fret? I have an Epi Viola. My D string has an open string buzz. As soon as I use a fret it stops. Could the nut be too high and not let the string sit firm enough on the fret?

10. Might be the nut is cut too deep or wide so the D-string is rattling around. If it doesn't have a one of those things that hold the string down between the nut and the tuning peg, you might want to get one. Hold the string down between the nut and peg and pluck it open, see if that makes a difference.

11. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Not unless your bass is set up properly for them.

George

12. davecanady

davecanady Guest

Aug 24, 2008
    I knotched the D string a little deeper at the nut. I used a V shape in case the slot was too wide. So....the sting sits on the O fret firmer. The string has less chance to vibrate around in the slot. The buzz is gone. Thanks, DC