Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats and high-end basses

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 11, 2003.

1. I currently have Status halfwounds on my FBB fretless 4, and I love the feel under my fingers and the ever-deader tone they're producing. I think I want to go all the way to flats, though.

I'm strongly considering putting a set of Lakland Joe Osborn flats on my FBB fretted 5 to replace what are turning out to be disappointingly dead Fodera Diamonds (the low B is much worse than I remembered), so I can still slap on the bass but get less fret noise and more focused lows and low midrange. It seems kinda anathema to put flats on anything but a Fender-style bass, though, so I'm still undecided.

Anyone have any experience with flats on their high-end bass?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've used flats on 3 of my four US Curbows, and each has sounded great with them. I'm only using TI Jazz flats on one of my fretlesses now only because I find I prefer the Jazz Rounds on the others.

The Lakland Joe Osborn flats are really great strings, though I've only tried the 4 string set. They have a tension very similar to medium roundwounds, and only on a passive Fender fretless PBass.

When I had Jazz Flats on my 6 string fretless, the low B sounded great, and matched tension with the rest of the set nicely. It is rather large, though. It doesn't feel bad, but it can be a pain to get it through the string hole in the bridge.

If you want to slap on the bass, I think the TI Jazz Flats would work better than the Laklands, but, then, I never really tried to slap the Lakland when I had them on the fretless P...

The Jazz Flats have a great slap tone. I had them on my Jretro'd Jazz, and the slap tone was pretty amazing considering they were flats.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for some reason i have this mental block against putting flats on anything that would be considered a modern bass. i personally would only put flats on a fender or older style bass like an old gibson or t40, but that's just me.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Your loss, really. Flats sound amazing on any good sounding bass.